Part One: The Setting
1. The background.
Part Two: The Defeat of Austria
3. The Constitutional Conflict and the Liberal Opposition.
4. The Road to Koniggratz.
5. The North German Confederation.
6. Bismarck, Napoleon and the Southern States.
7. The Franco-Prussian War and the Unification of Germany.
Part Four: The Second Reich: The Economic and Constitutional Context
8. The Second Reich: A Hybrid State.
9. The Financial Crisis of 1873 and the Great Depression.
Part Five: Domestic Politics
10. The Kulturkampf and the Decline of the Liberals.
11. The Conservative Empire.
Part Six: German Foreign and Colonial Policy.
12. Germany and Europe, 1871-90.
13. The Creation of the German Colonial Empire.
Part Seven: Assessment
14. Bismarck in Myth and Reality.
Part Eight: Documents.