The Black Man's Guide to Parenting by C. F. Gipson offers 50 unique tips on what black men need to do to be an effective father in today's demanding and changing world. Among the key points are:
* Be there when your children are born.
* Become financially literate: teach your children that honest pays and trying to beat the system doesn't.
* Be selective about who meets your children: you are responsible for protecting your children from abuse.
* Love and discipline are both important: you need to set standards for how your children behave.
* Educate your children about racism: don't allow your children to blame every problem they have on racism, but make sure they know racism still exists.
"An accessible, clearly conceived book that includes fifty effective strategies for successful modern fatherhood... I strongly recommend this "handbook"."--(Haki R. Madhubuti, Poet, Distinguished University Professor, author of Tough Notes: A Healing Call for Creating Exceptional Black Men)
James P. Comer
"Clear, concise, and accessible in format and language, this book is an invaluable tool for all African-American parents."--(James P. Comer, M.D., Maurice Falk Professor of Child Psychiatry, Yale Child Study Center; Associate Dean, School of Medicine)
"An inspirational and uplifting instructional guide that provides practical steps towards becoming a successful black father."--(Dr. Jeff Gardere, Clinical Psychiatrist, Author of Smart Parenting for African Americans)