Blending Play Therapy with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Evidence-Based and Other Effective Treatments and Techniques / Edition 1by Athena A. Drewes
Pub. Date: 02/24/2009
In today's managed-care environment, therapeutic techniques must be proven to be effective to be reimbursable. This comprehensive volume is written by leaders in the field and collects classic and emerging evidence-based and cognitive behavioral therapy treatments therapists can use when working with children and adolescents. Step-by-step instruction is provided… See more details below
In today's managed-care environment, therapeutic techniques must be proven to be effective to be reimbursable. This comprehensive volume is written by leaders in the field and collects classic and emerging evidence-based and cognitive behavioral therapy treatments therapists can use when working with children and adolescents. Step-by-step instruction is provided for implementing the treatment protocol covered. In addition, a special section is included on therapist self-care, including empirically supported studies. For child and play therapists, as well school psychologists and school social workers.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.70(d)
Table of Contents
About the Editor.
SECTION I. RATIONALE FOR INTEGRATING PLAY THERAPY AND CBT.
1. The Therapeutic Powers of Play and Play Therapy (Charles E. Schaefer and Athena A. Drewes).
2. Play Therapy, Pedagogy and CBT: An Argument for Interdisciplinary Synthesis (Janine S. Shelby and Michele S. Berk).
3. An Illustration of Science and Practice: Strengthening theWhole Through Its Parts (Eliana Gil and Nicole Jalazo).
SECTION II. HISTORICAL CONTEXTUAL FOUNDATION.
4. Data Are Not Mysterious: Understanding, Applying, and Conducting Psychotherapy Outcomes Studies (Suzanne Button and Lauren S. Hallion).
5.Play Therapy Research: History and Current Empirical Support (Jennifer Baggerly).
6. Cognitive Behavioral Play Therapy: Theory and Applications (Susan M. Knell).
SECTION III. EFFECTIVE EVIDENCE-BASED TREATMENTS USING PLAY WITH CBT.
7. Trauma Systems Therapy: A Replication of the Model, Integrating Cognitive Behavioral Play Therapy into Child and Family Treatment (Susan Hansen and Glenn Saxe).
8. Incorporating Play within a Manual-Based Treatment for Children and Adolescents with Anxiety Disorders (Jennifer L. Podell, Erin D. Martin, and Philip C. Kendall).
9. The Role of Play within Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Aggressive Children: The Coping Power Program (John E. Lochman, Caroline Boxmeyer, and Nicole Powell).
10. Innovation and Integration: Parent-Child Interaction Therapy as Play Therapy (Anthony J. Urquiza, Nancy M. Zebell, and Dawn Blacker).
11. Primary Project: Fifty Years of Facilitating School Adjustment (Stephen P. Demanchick, Mary Anne Peabody, and Deborah B. Johnson).
SECTION IV. POSITIVE-OUTCOME EMPIRICALLY BASED PLAY THERAPY TREATMENTS.
12. Child-Parent Psychotherapy (Alicia F. Lieberman and Lisa R. Inman).
13. Filial Therapy: Theoretical Integration, Empirical Validation, and Practical Application (Risë VanFleet).
14. Kinder Training: An Adlerian-Based Model to Enhance Teacher-Student Relationships (JoAnna White and Lauren Stern Wynne).
15. Sandtray Therapy (Daniel S. Sweeney and Linda E. Homeyer).
SECTION V. INTEGRATION AND APPLICATION OF PLAY-BASED TECHNIQUES WITH CBT.
16. CBPT: Implementing and Integrating CBPT into Clinical Practice (Susan M. Knell and Meena Dasari).
17. Play Therapy Techniques for Affect Regulation (Susan Trachtenberg Paula).
18. Building Self-Esteem, Coping Skills, and Changing Cognitive Distortions (Diane Frey).
19. Playful Strategies to Manage Frustration: The Turtle Technique and Beyond (Eva L. Feindler).
20. Narrative Approaches: Helping Children Tell Their Stories (Ann Cattanach).
21. Family Problem Solving: Using Expressive Activities (Steve Harvey).
SECTION VI. THERAPIST SELF-CARE.
22. Self-Care for Child Therapists: Leaving It at the Office (John C. Norcross and Athena A. Drewes).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >