Book 2, Exploring Content: Reading for Academic Success / Edition 1by Lorraine C. Smith
Exploring Content 2: Reading for Academic Success, by Lorraine C. Smith, engages English language learners in authentic academic content to help them succeed in college classes. Readings from college textbooks and supporting exercises teach students essential reading and study skills as well as academic and/b>/i>/b>/i>/b>/i>… See more details below
Exploring Content 2: Reading for Academic Success, by Lorraine C. Smith, engages English language learners in authentic academic content to help them succeed in college classes. Readings from college textbooks and supporting exercises teach students essential reading and study skills as well as academic and content vocabulary.
- Five units, consisting of two related chapters, explore the fields of human behavior, culture, the origins of modern science, Eastern and Western art, and cross-cultural psychology.
- Fine art, photos, illustrations, and graphs enhance each reading and help students understand important information.
- Reading and study skills are introduced throughout the book. These include previewing vocabulary and content, analyzing sentence meaning and text organization, understanding and creating graphic organizers, scanning and skimming, and writing summaries.
- Unit follow-up activities, including writing assignments and Internet research, allow students to apply and extend what they have learned.
- Pearson Education ESL
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.00(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.60(d)
Table of Contents
Scope and Sequence
About Exploring Content
to the Teacher
To the Student
About the Author
Unit 1 HOW DO ORGANISMS INTERACT WITH THE WORLD AROUND THEM?
Chapter 1 Behavior
- Understanding Behavior
- Instinctive Behavior and Learned Behavior
Chapter 2 Understanding Instinct and Learning
- Instinct and Learned Compared
- Instinct and Learning in the Same Organism
Unit 2 HOW IS OUR WORLD VIEW SHAPED BY OUR CULTURE?
Chapter 3 Defining and Exploring Culture
- The Concept of Culture
- A Model for the Study of Cultural Systems
Chapter 4 Nature Shaping Culture
- Making the World View Real
- The Processes of Culture Change
Unit 3 HOW DOES OUR PLACE IN HISTORY INFLUENCE WHAT WE BELIEVE?
Chapter 5 The Birth of Modern Science
· The Aristotelian Origins of Western Scientific Research
· The Seventeenth-Century Scientific Revolution
Chapter 6 Science and a New World View
- Galileo Galilei’s Astronomical Observations
- The New Science and the New Scientists
Unit 4 HOW DO CULTURE AND HISTORY INFLUENCE ART?
Chapter 7 The Rise of the Western Artist
- Art and Artists in History
- The Early Renaissance in Italy and Flanders
Chapter 8 The Foundations of Chinese Art
- Art and Artists in China
- Chinese Art: Landscape Painting
Unit 5 HOW DO WE EXPLAIN OUR SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES?
Chapter 9 Understanding People across Cultures
- The Nature of Cross-Cultural Psychology
- Cross-Cultural Approaches to Studying Human Behavior
Chapter 10 Theories of Human Motivation
- Motivation and Behavior
- Universal Mechanisms of Human Motivation
Index of Key Words and Phrases
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >