The Book of New Israeli Food A Culinary Journey
By Janna Gur
Schocken Copyright © 2008 Janna Gur
All right reserved. ISBN: 9780805212242
Apple, Cinnamon and Walnut Cake
Every family has its recipe for a favorite apple cake. This one is attractive, perfumed with cinnamon, and has the added treat of crunchy walnuts.
5 large baking apples, peeled and cored
juice of half a lemon
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
5 tablespoons brandy or calvados
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely choppedFor dusting
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Cut 3 apples into a ½ inch dice. Slice the remaining 2 apples into 8 wedges each, sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
3. Sift the flour with cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, brandy and vanilla extract until pale and thick, about 8 minutes.
5. Lower the speed and gradually add the oil and then the flour to the egg mixture.
6. Fold in the diced apples and chopped walnuts and pour the batter into a well-greased 10" springform pan. Arrange the apple wedges in the center of the cake in a flower pattern. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
7. Bake for 60-70 minutes until the cake is golden and a toothpick comes out dry with a few crumbs adhering.
8. Cool for 10 minutes, release from pan and cool completely on a rack. Cooking Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
(including baking time) Continues...
Excerpted from The Book of New Israeli Food by Janna Gur Copyright © 2008 by Janna Gur. Excerpted by permission.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.