Methods for Teaching Science as Inquiry / Edition 9by Arthur A. Carin
Pub. Date: 04/28/2004
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Inquiry-based teaching is central to the National Science Education Standards (NSES) and Benchmarks for Scientific Literacy, and research has proven that an inquiry approach to science teaching motivates and engages every type of student. Methods for Teaching Science as Inquiry provides a clear, easy-to-follow approach to inquiry, using the 5-E Learning Cycle model of instruction (Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluate). This book is derived from Teaching Science as Inquiry, which has become the leading book on the market!
New to this edition: Chapter 6, Assessing Science Learning, includes a new section on Science Standards and Statewide Tests which helps teachers understand the relationship between standardized test items and the conceptual knowledge and inquiry skills students need to learn. (See pages 176-181), Updated, research-based coverage on meeting the needs of English Language Learners and strategies for reaching diverse learners helps prepare teachers for the realities of today's classrooms. (See pages 267-271), Margin notes link readers to activities that model standards-based inquiry and developmentally appropriate science content (See pages 5 and 15), Integration with MyEducationLab gives readers access to video clips, journal articles, examples of student work, and assessments to gauge understanding of chapter content.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.03(w) x 10.00(h) x 0.87(d)
Table of Contents
2. Processes of Science and Scientific Inquiry.
3. Understanding How Children Construct Science Knowledge.
4. Teaching Science through Inquiry.
5. Questioning and Responding to Guide Children's Inquiry.
6. Designing Effective Science Lessons.
7. Assessing Science Learning and Teaching.
8. Connecting Science with Other Subjects.
9. Science Experiences for All Children.
10. Educational Technology and the Science Curriculum.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews