Effective Teaching in Elementary Social Studies / Edition 6by Tom V. Savage
Pub. Date: 03/21/2007
The fifth edition of this popular book helps readers aid children in developing thinking skills and master principles, encouraging them to understand the world, approach challenges from different perspectives, and understand and stand firm in the face of injustice. Understanding social studies is crucial to the creation of thoughtful, involved citizens. Up-to-date material on technology and pro-social behavior challenges readers to reflect upon significant issues. Topics include: the definition of social studies; history and geography; political science and economics; sociology, anthropology and psychology; teaching social studies; culture, gender, and exceptionalities; planning and assessing by working with the social studies standards. This book will serve as an excellent resource for all educators in the field of social studies, as well as for those employed in various fields where social studies is a component in understanding today's social trends.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
Table of Contents1. Defining the Social Studies.
2. Content Sources: History and Geography.
3. Content Sources: Political Science and Law-Focused Education.
4. Content Sources: Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, and Psychology.
5. Multicultural and Gender Issues.
6. Acquisition of Information and Individualized Learning.
7. Constructing Knowledge: Concepts and Generalizations.
8. Inquiry and Thinking Skills.
9. Group Learning.
10. Developing Prosocial Behavior.
11. Social Studies Tools: Maps, Globes and Graphs.
12. Planning Instruction.
13. Assessing Learning.
14. Social Studies and the Integrated Curriculum.
15. Social Studies and Technology.
16. Social Studies for Limited-English-Proficient Learners.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >