American Journey: Volume 1 / Edition 6by David Goldfield
Pub. Date: 11/09/2010
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Written in a clear, engaging style with a straightforward chronological organization, The American Journey introduces readers to the key features of American political, social, and economic history. This new edition focuses more closely on the theme of the American journey, showing that our attempt to live up to and with our ideals is an ongoing process that/i>… See more details below
Written in a clear, engaging style with a straightforward chronological organization, The American Journey introduces readers to the key features of American political, social, and economic history. This new edition focuses more closely on the theme of the American journey, showing that our attempt to live up to and with our ideals is an ongoing process that has become ever more inclusive of different groups and ideas. Covering the 1600s to the present, prominent coverage is given to the West and the South, and the book highlights the importance of religion in American history. Hundreds of maps, graphs, and illustrations help readers absorb history and bring it to life. For those interested in a comprehensive study of U.S. history given in a flowing, lively narrative.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Volume I includes Chapters 1-15; Volume II includes Chapters 16-31.)
Volume I 1. Worlds Apart.
2. Transplantation, 1600-1685.
3. The Creation of New Worlds.
4. Convergence and Conflict, 1660s-1763.
5. Imperial Breakdown, 1763-1774.
6. The War for Independence, 1774-1783.
7. The First Republic, 1776-1789.
8. A New Republic and the Rise of the Parties, 1789-1800.
9. The Triumph and Collapse of Jeffersonian Republicanism, 1800-1824.
10. The Jacksonian Era, 1824-1845.
11. Slavery and the Old South, 1800-1860.
12. The Market Revolution and Social Reform.
13. The Way West.
14. The Politics of Selectionism, 1846-1861.
15. The Civil War, 1861-1865.
Volume II 16. Reconstruction, 1865-1877.
17. A New South, 1877-1900.
18. Industry, Immigrants, and Cities, 1870-1900.
19. Transforming the West, 1865-1890.
20. Politics and Government, 1877-1900.
21. The Progressive Era, 1900-1917.
22. Creating an Empire, 1865-1917.
23. America and the Great War, 1914-1920.
24. Toward a Modern America: The 1920s.
25. The Great Depression and the New Deal, 1929-1939.
26. World War II, 1939-1945.
27. The Cold War at Home and Abroad, 1946-1952.
28. The Confident Years, 1953-1964.
29. Shaken to the Roots, 1965-1980.
30. The Reagan Revolution and a Changing World, 1981-1992.
31. Complacency and Crisis, 1993-2002.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >