Legal Research and Writing / Edition 5by William P. Statsky
Pub. Date: 10/13/1998
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Legal Research and Writing, Fifth Edition provides a basic introduction to legal research and writing. The book covers the variety of media formats in which modern legal research is performed. This includes traditional hard cover and pamphlet volumes. In addition, the book covers online research through commercial databases and CD-ROM, and microform formats such as ultrafiche. The writing chapters introduce the reader to letter writing, the memorandum of law, the appellate brief, and writing fundamentals needed when preparing any kind of document.
- A list of key terms is included in each chapter of the legal research section to aid in comprehension
- Extensive information on conducting legal research on the Internet as well as online through commercial databases and CD-ROMS
- Comprehensive charts that list and define all ten categories of law are used throughout the chapters of the legal research section and are perfect for reference
- Writing samples are provided for letters, memoranda of law, and portions of appellate briefs as a guide for the reader
- Writing assignments give the reader practice in applying the writing concepts covered in the chapters
Table of ContentsPART I: LEGAL RESEARCH: Preliminary Considerations. Catagories of Law and Research Materials. Defining Research Materials: An Introductory Overview. Authority in Research and Writing. Citation Form. Components of Many Law Books. The CARTWHEEL and Other Index Search Systems. The First Level of Legal Research: Background. Checklists for Using Nine Major Search Resources. Case Law. Statutory Law. Other Primary Authority. Computer Research. Validations-TheThird Level of Research: Ending Your Research. PART II: LEGAL WRITING: Letter Writing. Memorandum of Law. Appellate Brief. APPENDIES: A. State Legal Research Reference. B. Case Law on the Internet. C. Court Opinions for Assignments. D. Usage Guidelines for Formal Writing. GLOSSARY. INDEX.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >