Marko Gargenta is the founder and chief Android expert at Marakana, a training company in San Francisco. Marko has developed Android Bootcamp and Android Internals courses, and has trained over 1,000 developers on four continents. His clients include Qualcomm, Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, Sharp, Cisco, U.S. Department of Defense, and many more. Marko frequently speaks on Android at technical conferences and events, and is the founder of San Francisco Android Users Group.
Learning Androidby Marko Gargenta
Want to build apps for Android devices? This book is the perfect way to master the fundamentals. Written by an expert who's taught this mobile platform to hundreds of developers in large organizations, this gentle introduction shows experienced object-oriented programmers how to use Android’s basic building blocks to create user interfaces, store data,
Want to build apps for Android devices? This book is the perfect way to master the fundamentals. Written by an expert who's taught this mobile platform to hundreds of developers in large organizations, this gentle introduction shows experienced object-oriented programmers how to use Android’s basic building blocks to create user interfaces, store data, connect to the network, and more.
You'll build a Twitter-like application throughout the course of this book, adding new features with each chapter. Along the way, you'll also create your own toolbox of code patterns to help you program any type of Android application with ease.
- Get an overview of the Android platform and discover how it fits into the mobile ecosystem
- Learn about the Android stack, including its application framework, and the structure and distribution of application packages (APK)
- Set up your Android development environment and get started with simple programs
- Use Android’s building blocks—Activities, Intents, Services, Content Providers, and Broadcast Receivers
- Learn how to build basic Android user interfaces and organize UI elements in Views and Layouts
- Build a service that uses a background process to update data in your application
- Get an introduction to Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) and the Native Development Kit (NDK)
- O'Reilly Media, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.80(d)
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
This book is great to learn android.It has a good technical level and a clear explanation of the android platform. It is easy to see while reading the book that autjor has a very good knowledge of android and the examples wel thought. Before getting this book, I read other android books but the examples were not explained fully. As a plus,Marko (the author) provides videos for the examples shown in this book. A must read and see.
Do not buy this book. The Android OS has moved so far past the content of this book that it is not relevant anymore. While I think the concept of the book is good you will spend more time trying to fix the outdated examples than learning Android.
i have been in the world of adobe flex/flash for some time. I saw Marko's presentation at AndevCon I, and I really liked his way of teaching to the audience. The moment he said, he had a book available, i bought it immediately. I liked his book has the fundamentals, and that is what anyone needs prior to get into any fancy android. I went to buy other books before but I always felt frustrated, and this book gave me what I really needed, now i can move to a more detailed book and understand it without feeling frustrated again. :)