Microsensors, MEMS, and Smart Devices / Edition 1by Julian W. Gardner
Pub. Date: 12/31/2001
Microsensors and MEMS (micro-electro-mechanical systems) are revolutionising the semiconductor industry. A microsystem or the so-called "system-on-a-chip" combines microelectronic circuitry with microsensors and microactuators. This emergent field has seen the development of applications ranging from the electronic nose and intelligent ear to micro-tweezers and the modern ink-jet nozzle.
Providing a complete overview of microsensor technologies, this unique reference addresses vital integration issues for the successful application of microsensors, MEMS and smart devices.
* Review of traditional and emerging fabrication processes including bulk and silicon micromachining, microstereolithography and polymer processing methods.
* Focus on the use of IDT (interdigital transducer) microsensors in the development of low energy budget, wireless MEMS or micromachines.
* Coverage of the katest applications in smart devices including the electronic nose, tongue and finger, along with smart sensors and strcutures such as smart skin.
* An overview of the development of intelligent sensing devices through the use of sensor arrays, parametric compensation of sensor sugnals and ASIC technology.
* Comprehensive appendices outlining vital MEMS material properties, relevant web sites and a guide to key institutions active in the field.
Microsensors, MEMS and Smart Devices presents readers with the means to understand and evaluate microsystems. Advanced students and researchers in microelectronics, engineers and developers of microsensor systems will find this comprehensive treatment essential reading. Detailed coverage of material propertiesmakes this an important reference work for mechnical engineers, physicists and material scientists working in the field.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
Table of Contents
Electronic Materials and Processing
MEMS Materials and their Preparation
Standard Microelectronic Technologies
Silicon Micromachining: Surface
Microstereolithography for MEMS
Introduction to SAW Devices
Surface Acoustic Waves in Solids
IDT Microsensor Parameter Measurement
IDT Microsensor Fabrication
Smart Sensors and MEMS
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews