Ecology and Field Biology / Edition 6by Robert Leo Smith, Thomas M. Smith
Pub. Date: 07/01/2000
This book presents a comprehensive overview of all aspects of ecology, including evolution, ecosystems theory, practical applications, plants, animals, biogeochemical cycles, and global change. A new chapter discusses global environmental change, human impacts on the global carbon cycle, and the possible implications for the global climate system. Six "Ecological… See more details below
This book presents a comprehensive overview of all aspects of ecology, including evolution, ecosystems theory, practical applications, plants, animals, biogeochemical cycles, and global change. A new chapter discusses global environmental change, human impacts on the global carbon cycle, and the possible implications for the global climate system. Six "Ecological Application Essays" demonstrate to students the real world relevance of ecological concepts. For example, Part V, Population Interactions, discusses how a lack of mushrooms helped power the Industrial Revolution. Reflecting current changes in the field of ecology, the new edition incorporates more discussion of the evolutionary perspective on ecological systems. For anyone interested in ecology.
- Publication date:
Table of Contents
II. THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT.
3. The Physical Environment.
Ecological Application: How a Lack of Mushrooms Helped Power the Industrial Revolution.
III. THE ORGANISM IN ITS ENVIRONMENT.
6. Plant Adaptations to the Environment I: Photosynthesis and the Light Environment.
7. Plant Adaptations to the Environment II: Thermal, Moisture, and Nutrient Environments.
8. Animal Adaptations to the Environment.
Ecological Application: St. Patrick and the Absence of Snakes in Ireland.
IV. INTRASPECIFIC POPULATION ECOLOGY.
11. Population Growth.
12. Intraspecific Competition: Population Regulation.
13. Life History Patterns.
V. POPULATION INTERACTIONS.
15. Concepts of Predation.
16. Predators and their Prey.
17. Coevolutionary Interactions: Parasitism and Mutualism.
18. Human Impacts on Populations.
Ecological Application: The Complete Recipe for Apple Pie.
VI. ECOLOGICAL GENETICS.
VII. THE COMMUNITY.
21. Community Dynamics.
22. Processes Controlling Community Dynamics.
23. Landscape Ecology.
Ecological Application: Asteroids, Bulldozers, and Biodiversity.
VIII. THE ECOSYSTEM.
25. Biogeochemistry I: Nutrient Cycling.
26. Biogeochemistry II: Global Cycles and Human Impacts.
27. Biogeography of Ecosystems.
Ecological Application: Time to Rethink the Lawn.
IX. COMPARATIVE ECOSYSTEM ECOLOGY.
30. Freshwater Ecosystems.
31. Saltwater Ecosystems.
32. Global Environmental Change.
Ecological Application: Time is On Their Side.
Appendix A: Sampling Plant and Animal Populations.
Appendix B: Measuring Community and Population Structure.
Appendix C: Distribution of World Vegetation Maps..
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >