I. THE CONTEXT OF PRACTICE WITH CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.
1. History and Social Policies Shaping Practice with Children and Adolescents.
The Recognition of Childhood and the Needs of Children.
Twentieth Century Progress.
Policies and Implements Affecting Children.
The Social Security Act.
Contemporary Concerns in the Lives of Children.
Mental Health Services.
Child Welfare Services.
Juvenile Courts and Delinquency.
2. Cultures, Communities, and Families.
Minority Children and Adolescents.
Values, Morality, Character, and Religion.
Languages and Acculturation.
Cultural Competencies and Communities.
3. Contemporary Social Issues Affecting Children and Adolescents in Family Systems.
Families as Social Systems.
Family Composition and Structure.
II. HELPING ON BEHALF OF CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.
4. The Process of Helping Children and Adolescents.
Therapy and Treatment Services.
The Case of Tommy.
The Case of Sylvia.
A General Approach for Helping Children and Adolescents.
The Beginning Phase.
Building a Relationship.
Planning and Goal Setting.
The Middle Phase.
Preparation for Ending.
5. Assessing the Competencies and Difficulties of Children and Adolescents.
Problem Recognition and Referral Process.
The Perspective of the Practitioner.
The Diagnostic Practitioner Role.
Child Development: Norms and Lags.
Competencies and Difficulties of Children and Adolescents.
6. Theories, Strategies, and Techniques for Practice.
Task-Centered Social Work.
Exploring the Problem.
Contracting and Planning.
Implementing the Tasks.
Principles and Practices in Client-Centered Play Therapy.
Assumptions and Thinking Underlying the Approach.
Existential Social Work.
Components of Change.
Using Multiple Bodies of Theory.
7. Using Agency and Organizational Systems.
Contexts of Practice.
Conflict and Crisis.
Accountability and Expectations.
Scope of Direct and Indirect Services for Children.
PART III: APPLICATIONS OF THE HELPING PROCESS
8. Methods and Practices in School Systems.
Social Context to Schooling.
Mobility and Diversity.
Students with Disabilities.
The Nature and Goals of Schools.
Types and Conditions of Schools.
School-Based Health Clinics.
School Social Work Roles.
Future of School Social Work.
9. Methods and Practices in Mental Health Agencies.
Promoting the Mental Health of Children and Adolescents.
Prevention of Developmental Psychopathology.
Emotional Problems of Children and Adolescents.
Types of Mental Disorders.
Mental Health Services.
10. Methods and Practices in Child Welfare Agencies.
Working with Involuntary Clients.
Separation, Loss, and Mourning.
The Case of Nancy.
Issues in Adoptions.