1. Teachers and the Legal System.
I. THE LEGAL ASPECTS OF TEACHING.
2. Do I Have a Contract?
3. How Secure Is My Employment?
4. How Does Collective Bargaining Effect Me?
5 . When Am I Liable?
6. What Constitutes Slander and Libel?
7. How Should I Deal with Child Abuse and Neglect?
8. How Does Copyright Law Affect Me?
II. TEACHERS' AND STUDENTS' RIGHTS.
9. When Can Schools Restrict Freedom of Expression?
10. When Can Schools Limit Religious Freedom?
11. When Can Schools Limit Freedom of Association?
12. What Are My Rights Under Due Process?
13. How Free Is My Personal Life?
14. Are Teachers and Students Protected Against Racial Discrimination?
15. Are Teachers and Students Protected Against Sex Discrimination?
16. Are There Special Rights for Students with Disabilities and Non-English speasking students?
17. Who Controls Student Records?
18. Do parents Have Choice in Educating Their Children?
19. When Can Schools Restrict Personal Appearance?
20. The No Child Left Behind Act, High Stakes Testing, and Other Current Controversies.
Appendix A: Selected Provisions of the U.S. Constitution.
Appendix B: Major Federal Laws Affecting Schools.
Appendix C: Other Legal Resources for Teachers.