In Legislative Process, Third Edition, two outstanding authors explore American legislative institutions and the processes by which they consider and enact legislation. Using a rich variety of primary source materials, and placing consistent emphasis on the processes and practice of law, Mikva and Lane consider contemporary legislative topics in the context of historical events.
• extraordinary authorship by Abner J. Mikva, Former Chief Judge to the United States Court of Appeals, Congressman for five terms, and Counsel to the President during the Clinton Administration; Eric Lane has extensive legislative experience at the state level
• extensive use of primary materials, such as
• bills and statutes
• committee reports and debates
• legislative rules
• constitutional provisions and other legislative authorities
• case decisions
• a practical and process-oriented approach
• a historical focus that gives context to topics and sheds light on current legislative enactments
• detailed Teacher’s Manual
Updated throughout, the Third Edition includes:
• additional focus on legislative oversight and executive privilege
• recent developments on census, sampling, and statistical tools for redistricting through addition of Wisconsin v. City of New York
• a fresh look at campaign finance reform through the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 and McConnell v. F.E.C.
• new materials on legislative ethics in the post-Abramoff world, The Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007
• Davis v. Bandemer is replaced with Vieth v. Jubelirer as the Court continues to evince uncertainty about the justiciability of gerrymandering
• updated Teacher’s Manual with Transition Guide and sample syllabi
Balancing theory and practice, authors Mikva and Lane offer current coverage of the great American legislative institutions, the process of lawmaking, and the historical context in which these institutions and processes have evolved. New professors can have confidence in teaching this course for the first time with the new updated Teacher’s Manual that includes sample syllabi and the authors’ significant insights and guidance.