1. Making Sense: Your Job as a Reader and a Writer.
Chapter Theme: Learning to Learn.
I. PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTING MEANING.
2. Planning to Read and Write.
Chapter Theme: Memory.
3. Constructing Main Ideas when Reading and Writing Paragraphs.
Chapter Theme: Intelligence.
4. Reading and Writing Multi-Paragraph Passages and Essays.
Chapter Theme: Emotional Intelligence.
II. REVISING MEANING AS YOU READ AND AS YOU WRITE.
5. Revising Meaning through Supporting Details.
Chapter Theme: Stress.
6. Revising Meaning through Coherence.
Chapter Theme: Diet and Nutrition.
7. Making Sense with Text Patterns.
Chapter Theme: Sports and Physical Fitness.
III. FURTHER REFINING OF MEANING THROUGH CRITICAL THINKING.
8. Making Sense by Understanding Audience, Purpose, Point of View and Tone.
Chapter Theme: Living in a Diverse Community.
9. Making Sense with Facts, Inferences, and Opinions.
Chapter Theme: Making Choices in a Diverse Community.
IV. A BASIC GUIDE TO GRAMMAR AND MECHANICS.