List of Tables
List of Figures
Introduction: Rural America Enters the New Millennium
David L. Brown and Louis E. Swanson
Part I: Who Lives in Rural America Today?
New Directions in Population Change and Diversity
1. Unpredictable Directions of Rural Population Growth and Migration
Kenneth M. Johnson
2. African Americans in Rural America
Rosalind P. Harris and Dreamal Worthen
3. American Indians: Their Contemporary Reality and Future Trajectory
Angela A. Gonzales
4. Latinos in Rural America
Rogelio Saenz and Cruz C. Torres
Reshuffling and Remaking Rural Families
5. What Do Rural Families Look Like Today?
Katherine MacTavish and Sonya Salamon
6. Older Rural Families
7. Rural Children and Youth at Risk
Daniel T. Lichter, Vincent J. Roscigno, and Dennis J. Condron
8. Rural Women: New Roles for the New Century?
Ann R. Tickamyer and Debra A. Henderson
9. Rural Poverty: The Persisting Challenge
Leif Jensen, Diane K. McLaughlin, and Tim Slack
Part II: A Transformed Rural Economy
10. How People Make a Living in Rural America
David A. McGranahan
11. Who Benefits from Economic Restructuring? Lessons From the Past, Challenges for the Future
William W. Falk and Linda M. Lobao
12. Commuting: A Good Job Nearby?
Leanne M. Tigges and Glenn V. Fuguitt
13. Continuities and Disjunctures in the Transformation of the U.S. Agro-Food System
Frederick H. Buttel
14. Tourism and Natural Amenity Development: Real Opportunities?
Richard S. Krannich and Peggy Petrzelka
Part III: The Rural Community: Is It Local? Is It a Community?
Perspectives on Community
15. Community Agency and Local Development
A. E. Luloff and Jeffrey C. Bridger
16. Social Capital
Cornelia Butler Flora and Jan L. Flora
17. Civil Society, Civic Communities, and Rural Development
Thomas A. Lyson and Charles M. Tolbert
The Social Institutions That Maintain and Reproduce Community
18. The Global/Local Interface
Alessandro Bonanno and Douglas H. Constance
19. Competition, Cooperation, and Local Governance
Mildred E. Warner
21. Promoting Educational Achievement: A Partnership of Families, Schools, and Communities
Lionel J. Beaulieu, Glenn D. Israel, and Ronald C. Wimberley
22. Rural Health Policy
Lois Wright Morton
Part IV: People and the Environment: Tough Tradeoffs in an Era with Vanishing Buffers
23. Transforming Rural America: The Challenges of Land Use Change in the Twenty-First Century
Douglas B. Jackson-Smith
24. Community and Resource Extraction in Rural America
Lynn England and Ralph B. Brown
25. Fur, Fins, and Feathers: Whose Home Is It Anyway?
Steven E. Daniels and Joan M. Brehm
Part V: Changing National and International Policies: New Uncertainties and New Challenges
26. What Role Can Community Play in Local Economic Development?
Gary Paul Green
27. Devolution: Who Is Responsible for Rural America?
Jeffrey S. Sharp and Domenico M. Parisi
28. Welfare Reform in Rural Areas: A Voyage through Uncharted Waters
Julie N. Zimmerman and Thomas A. Hirschl
29. The Impact of Global Economic Practices on American Farming
30. Catalytic Community Development: A Theory of Practice for Changing Rural Society
Kenneth E. Pigg and Ted K. Bradshaw
Conclusion: Challenges Become Opportunities: Trends and Policies Shaping the Future
Louis E. Swanson and David L. Brown