Building a House for Diversity: How a Fable About a Giraffe & an Elephant Offers New Strategies for Today's Workforce / Edition 1by R. Roosevelt Thomas
Pub. Date: 06/11/1999
What could an elephant and a giraffe teach people about working together? Some very important lessons, it seems, about the complex--and critically important--issues of dealing with diversity in the workforce. Building a House for Diversity begins with a short fable about how a friendship between the two animals is threatened when the house built for a tall, skinny giraffe cannot accommodate his invited guest, a broad, bulky elephant. Using this story as a vivid metaphor for the difficult issues inherent in diversity, the book goes on to demonstrate how managing diversity can be seen as a set of skills that anyone can learn--and use.
In a way that makes diversity management up close and personal, Building a House for Diversity offers compelling, real-life stories of individual experiences at work. It includes:
- the perspective of both insiders (usually white males) and outsiders (usually minorities or women)
- insightful commentary illuminating what these experiences tell us about the challenges and opportunities of diversity
- a particularly interesting segment on Phil Jackson, legendary Chicago Bulls coach, and how he dealt with diversity issues in his relationships to Michael Jordan, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippin, and others
- hands-on guidance to help readers become diversity mature and take personal responsibility for their attitudes and actions.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
Table of Contents
1. The Giraffe and the Elephant
2. Diversity Effectiveness: An Overview
Part II: Head Giraffes in Action
Introduction: Who Are the Head Giraffes?
3. A Natural Diversity Manager--Phil Jackson
4. The Making of a Diversity Manager--Bill Smith
5. Diversity Effectiveness: The Challenges for Head Giraffes
Part III: Elephants in Action
Introduction: Who Are the Elephants?
6. The Assimilated Elephants--Ray and Carol
7. The Angry Elephants--Debra and Mark
8. The Pioneering Elephants--Joan and Richard
9. Diversity Effectiveness: The Challenges for Elephants
Part IV: Giraffes in Action
Introduction: Who Are the Giraffes?
10. The Assimilated Giraffe--George
11. The Uncompromising Giraffe--Jeff
12. The Pioneering Giraffe--Kirk
13. Diversity Effectiveness: The Challenges for Giraffes
Part V: Moving Toward Diversity Effectiveness
14. The Individual Journey
15. The Organizational Journey.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews