Environment / Edition 7by Peter H. Raven, Linda R. Berg, David M. Hassenzahl
Pub. Date: 11/23/2010
Help is on the Web!
There is more to Environment, 4e by Raven and Berg than what you see in this text. An enhanced book-specific Web site will help you further examine critical environmental issues. The Web site offers a variety of activities to help you succeed in your course and additional tools that will help you make environmentally responsible choices.… See more details below
Help is on the Web!
There is more to Environment, 4e by Raven and Berg than what you see in this text. An enhanced book-specific Web site will help you further examine critical environmental issues. The Web site offers a variety of activities to help you succeed in your course and additional tools that will help you make environmentally responsible choices.
Online resources include:
- Environmental Debates provide the opportunity to learn about two sides of a contentious issue affecting the environment.
- Activity Links identify the most useful Internet links related to the environment and present short exercises that invite you to use these links to increase your understanding of the material.
- Take a Stand activities encourage you to think critically and carefully weigh the short- and long-term advantages and disadvantages of a particular position relating to an environmental situation.
- Research Projects provide you with specific suggestions for topics, reading materials, research techniques, and activities.
- Case Studies highlight key issues in environmental science and lead you to related Web sites for further information.
- How to Make a Difference shows how to get involved in environmental issues and lists environmental organizations that you can join.
- Student Lounge offers valuable study tips and writing tips that will help you get a better grade.
- Quizzes and Essays test your understanding of each chapter with multiple-choice, true/false questions, and short-answer essay questions. You can email your answers and responses directly to your instructor.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 9.20(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
|Pt. 1||Humans in the Environment||1|
|Interview: Lester Brown on the Environmental Revolution||2|
|Ch. 1||Our Changing Environment||4|
|Ch. 2||Solving Environmental Problems||20|
|Pt. 2||The World We Live In||37|
|Interview: George Woodwell on Global Ecology and the Human Factor||38|
|Ch. 3||Ecosystems and Energy||40|
|Ch. 4||Ecosystems and Living Things||58|
|Ch. 5||Ecosystems and the Physical Environment||75|
|Ch. 6||Major Ecosystems of the World||93|
|Ch. 7||Ecosystems, Economics, and Government||116|
|Pt. 3||A Crowded World||137|
|Interview: Anne & Paul Ehrlich on A Population Policy for the Super-Consumers||138|
|Ch. 8||Understanding Population Growth||140|
|Ch. 9||Facing the Problems of Overpopulation||157|
|Pt. 4||The Search for Energy||175|
|Interview: L. Hunter Lovins on Efficiency Technology: Less Energy, More Power||176|
|Ch. 10||Fossil Fuels||178|
|Ch. 11||Nuclear Energy||205|
|Ch. 12||Renewable Energy and Conservation||232|
|Pt. 5||Our Precious Resources||261|
|Interview: Russell Train on Preserving Biological Diversity in the Developing World||262|
|Ch. 13||Water: A Fragile Resource||264|
|Ch. 14||Soils and Their Preservation||295|
|Ch. 15||Minerals: A Nonrenewable Resource||322|
|Ch. 16||Wildlife: Our Plant and Animal Resources||343|
|Ch. 17||Land Resources and Conservation||368|
|Ch. 18||Food Resources: A Challenge for Agriculture||393|
|Interview: Richard Mahoney on Delivering Biotechnology to Developing Nations||416|
|Pt. 6||Environmental Concerns||419|
|Interview: Frank Press on Transnational Cooperation in Environmental Science||420|
|Ch. 19||Air Pollution||422|
|Ch. 20||Global Changes||445|
|Ch. 21||Water and Soil Pollution||465|
|Ch. 22||The Pesticide Dilemma||493|
|Ch. 23||Solid and Hazardous Wastes||518|
|Pt. 7||Tomorrow's World||545|
|Interview: Jerry Greenfield on Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream: The Business of Social Responsibility||546|
|Ch. 24||Tomorrow's World||548|
|Satellite Photo Composite: Earth at Night||566|
|Appendix I: Review of Basic Chemistry||A-1|
|Appendix II: How To Make A Difference||A-4|
|Appendix III: Green Collar Professions||A-10|
|Appendix IV: Units of Measure: Some Useful Conversions||A-12|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >