Bovine Medicine: Diseases and Husbandry of Cattle / Edition 2by A. H. Andrews
Pub. Date: 01/28/2004
Bovine Medicine, Second Edition provides practical and comprehensive information on cattle disease and production. Cattle experts from around the globe have contributed information on significant improvements in disease control and management of cattle. This key reference has been completely revised and updated to include a consolidated chapter on the interaction
Bovine Medicine, Second Edition provides practical and comprehensive information on cattle disease and production. Cattle experts from around the globe have contributed information on significant improvements in disease control and management of cattle. This key reference has been completely revised and updated to include a consolidated chapter on the interaction between the animal, environment, management, and disease. The worldwide market for the previous edition led to this edition's greater emphasis on conditions and their treatment in areas other than temperate regions. In a new section entitled "Global Variation in Cattle Practice," contributors discuss bovine medicine practices in their part of the world. Bovine Medicine, Second Edition is an outstanding resource for any practicing veterinarian and an excellent reference for veterinary students.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.90(w) x 11.20(h) x 2.40(d)
Table of Contents
List of Colour Plates.
List of Contributors.
Preface to the First Edition.
PART I: Management:
1. Calf Rearing.
2. Suckler Herds.
3. Beef Finishing Systems.
4. Dairy Farming.
5. Heifer Rearing - 12 Weeks to Calving.
6. Tropical Cattle Management.
7. Ethnoveterinary Medicine in the Tropics.
8. Heat Stress in Dairy Cattle.
10. Alternative Forages.
PART II: Disease:
11. Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis in the Cow
12. Outline of Clinical Genetics.
13. Congenital Conditions.
14. Calf Diarrhoea.
16. Digestive Disorders of Calves.
17. Calf Respiratory Disease.
18. Other Calf Problems
20. Respiratory Diseases.
21. Trace Element Disorders
Mastitis and Teat Conditions
22. Anatomy, Physiology and Immunology of the Udder.
24. Summer Mastitis.
25. Bulk Milk Testing and Mastitis Monitoring.
26. The Milking Machine.
27. Skin Infections of the Bovine Teat and Udder and their Differential Diagnosis.
28. Factors Affecting Milk Quality.
29. The Enhancement of Bovine Mammary Gland Immunity through Vaccination.
30. Antimicrobial Therapy of Mastitis
31. Foot Lameness.
32. Lameness above the Foot
33. Reproductive Physiology in Cattle.
34. Problems after Calving.
35. Problems Associated with Oestrous Cyclicity.
36. Failure to Conceive and Embryonic Loss.
37. Foetal Loss and Abnormalities of Pregnancy.
38. A Summary of Bull Infertility.
39. Artificial Insemination and Diseases Transmitted by Semen.
40. Embryo Transfer.
41. Herd Fertility Management.
(a) Beef cattle.
(b) Dairy herds.
42. Pharmacological Manipulation of Reproduction
Major Infectious Diseases
43. Viral Diseases.
(a) Blue tongue.
(b) Enzootic bovine leukosis.
(c) Foot-and-mouth disease.
(e) Vesicular stomatitis.
(f) Bovine immunodeficiency virus.
44. Bacterial Conditions.
45. Ectoparasites, Tick and Arthropod Borne Diseases
46. Major Metabolic Disorders.
47. Metabolic Profiles
System and Miscellaneous Conditions
48. Alimentary Conditions.
49. Respiratory Conditions.
(b) Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia (CBPP).
50. Skin Conditions.
51. Neurological Disorders.
52. Ocular Diseases.
53. Other Conditions.
54. Major Poisoning
Therapy and Disease Prevention
56. Health, Housing and Hygiene.
58. Immunological Fundamentals.
59. Vaccines and Vaccination of Cattle.
61. Antimicrobial Agents.
62. Inflammation, Pain and Anti-inflammatory Drugs.
63. Growth Promoters in Cattle.
64. Injection Damage.
65. Alternative Medicine.
66. Aspects of Bovine Surgery
The Interaction of the Animal, Environment and Management
67. Stress and the Pathogenesis of Disease
Global Variation in Cattle Practice
68. Diseases Related to Management in Europe.
69. Cattle Disease in Africa.
71. Cattle Practice in Saudi Arabia.
72. Bovine Medicine in New Zealand and Australia.
73. North American Dairy Production and Veterinary Involvement.
74. The North American Beef Industry.
75. Cattle Disease in South America.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >