The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Diseasesby Kirby I. Bland, Edward M. Copeland III
The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Diseases, 4th Edition, by Kirby I. Bland, MD, and Edward M. Copeland, III, MD, is a surgical reference that offers the most comprehensive, up-to-date resource on the diagnosis and management of, and rehabilitation following, surgery for benign and malignant diseases of the breast. With its multidisciplinary approach, sweeping updates, new contributors, and authoritative guidance, you’ll have exactly what you need to inspire patient confidence and provide the best possible outcomes.
- Features multidisciplinary advice from experts in surgery, radiation and medical oncology, pathology, molecular biology, pharmacokinetics, and genetics for a well-rounded perspective to enhance patient outcomes.
- Includes more than 1,500 figures and tables that offer high quality depictions of surgery and treatment procedures.
- Offers step-by-step guidance through both text and clinical boxes that makes the material relevant to everyday practice.
- Provides cross-referencing between chapters, as well as references to carefully selected journal articles, that makes further research easier.
- Uses a new full-color design to highlight key areas of the text and help you focus on important concepts.
- Presents updated coverage including an expanded section on pathology...and new chapters on granular cell tumors, targeted therapies, integration of radiotherapy and chemotherapy to keep you current.
- Includes revised chapters on the psychosocial consequences of breast cancer, lifestyle interventions for breast cancer patients, and patient and family resources that equip you to offer complete and compassionate care.
- Provides additional information on genetics to keep you up to date with the latest genetic discoveries linked to breast cancer and breast diseases.
- Features the work of many new contributors who provide the latest and freshest perspectives.
Description: This is a second edition, two-volume text that was originally published in 1991 as a single volume. It has been extensively updated and offers a detailed knowledge base integrated with clinical correlation.
Purpose: The goal is to disseminate updated basic and clinical scientific data and to portray the multidisciplinary approach of the treatment of breast disease. These objectives are essential for clinicians and scientists dedicated to this purpose, and this book successfully meets these objectives.
Audience: According to the editors, this book is written for clinicians and scientists. Parts of volume 11 may be beyond the realm of necessary or desired knowledge for non-surgical clinicians and for scientists and seems more appropriate for surgeons in particular.
Features: It provides a thorough overview including historical aspects, anatomy, and physiology from a normal and abnormal perspective, as well as comprehensive information about benign and malignant processes of the breast. The medical and surgical treatment options including adjuvant therapy and the current trend in the use of sentinel node biopsy are well discussed. Pathology and molecular biology topics are well written and provide good clinical correlation. Epidemiological and genetic information, as well as preventive measures, are nicely presented. Diagnostic measures, psychosocial aspects, and medical-legal issues are appropriately included.
Assessment: The majority of the contributors are well respected and are considered authorities in their fields. They are also representatives from a variety of universities, all of which make this a high quality book. It is a useful text, particularly for those dedicated to the treatment of breast disease. The detailed information describing surgical procedures and technique could perhaps be better served in a text that focuses solely on surgical technique and principles. The updated information included in this second edition justifiably warrants replacement of the first edition.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 88 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >