Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing / Edition 13by Janice L. Hinkle, Kerry H. Cheever
Pub. Date: 11/15/2013
Prepare for medical-surgical nursing practice and success on the NCLEX with Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing, 13th Edition. A favorite resource for students and practicing nurses for almost a half-century, this book provides comprehensive yet accessible coverage of a broad range of medical conditions while focusing on the nursing/b>
Prepare for medical-surgical nursing practice and success on the NCLEX with Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing, 13th Edition. A favorite resource for students and practicing nurses for almost a half-century, this book provides comprehensive yet accessible coverage of a broad range of medical conditions while focusing on the nursing process and the nurse’s role in caring for and educating patients and families within today’s complex health care delivery system.
Up-to-date coverage of the health care needs of people with disabilities, nursing research findings, ethical considerations, and evidence-based practice gives you opportunities to refine your clinical decision-making skills. Fully updated and enhanced, this new edition provides a fully integrated solution that promotes clinical judgment, performance, and success on the NCLEX examination and in nursing practice.
Key Features in the 13th Edition:
- NEW! Concept Mastery Alerts clarify difficult concepts, informed by data from Misconception Alert questions in PrepU for Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing, 12e.
- NEW! Quality and Safety Nursing Alerts build upon previous edition’s Nursing Alerts to highlight issues related to quality and safety nursing care.
- NEW! The updated unit openers include new Case Studies with QSEN Competency Focus to highlight a competency and related knowledge, skills, and attitudes. Additional information for these case studies related to NANDA-I, NIC, NOC and the nursing process is available online.
- NEW! Prioritization Questions have been added to the Critical Thinking Exercises.
- UPDATED! Genetics Charts and Ethical Dilemma Charts have been revised to reflect the latest advances in the field.
- UPDATED! Critical care information has been updated to further the authors' goal to have the most up-to-date and clinically relevant content on critical care throughout the book.
- EXPANDED! Expanded coverage of obesity, highlighted with a new icon, focuses on this epidemic health problem in our society.
- STEAMLINED! The Table of Contents has been reorganized for a more logical sequence and flow.
- REVISED! The accompanying Study Guide now features reorganized content and revised questions.
- Nursing Process sections, Plans of Nursing Care, and Critical Care sections
- More than 2,900 NCLEX-style review questions
- Assessment Charts, Risk Factor Charts, Guidelines Charts, Genetics in Nursing Practice Charts, Patient Education Charts, Health Promotion Charts, Ethics and Related Issues Charts, and Pharmacology Charts and tables.
- Gerontologic Considerations sections, Physiology/Pathophysiology figures, and Home Care Checklists
- Nursing Research Profiles and EBP questions help students learn the importance of evidence-based practice.
- Concepts in Action Animations bring anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology concepts to life.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Thirteenth, North American Edition, Two-Volume Set
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.60(w) x 11.90(h) x 4.20(d)
Table of Contents
Unit 1 Basic Concepts in Nursing
1 Health Care Delivery and Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
2 Community-Based Nursing Practice
3 Critical Thinking, Ethical Decision Making and the Nursing Process
4 Health Education and Promotion
5 Adult Health and Nutritional Assessment
Unit 2 Biophysical and Psychosocial Concepts in Nursing Practice
6 Individual and Family Homeostasis, Stress, and Adaptation
7 Overview of Transcultural Nursing
8 Overview of Genetics and Genomics in Nursing
9 Chronic Illness and Disability
10 Principles and Practices of Rehabilitation
11 Health Care of the Older Adult
Unit 3 Concepts and Challenges in Patient Management
12 Pain Management
13 Fluid and Electrolytes: Balance and Disturbance
14 Shock and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
15 Oncology: Nursing Management in Cancer Care
16 End-of-Life Care
Unit 4 Perioperative Concepts and Nursing Management
17 Preoperative Nursing Management
18 Intraoperative Nursing Management
19 Postoperative Nursing Management
Unit 5 Gas Exchange and Respiratory Function
20 Assessment of Respiratory Function
21 Respiratory Care Modalities
22 Management of Patients With Upper Respiratory Tract Disorders
23 Management of Patients With Chest and Lower Respiratory Tract Disorders
24 Management of Patients With Chronic Pulmonary Disease
Unit 6 Cardiovascular and Circulatory Function
25 Assessment of Cardiovascular Function
26 Management of Patients With Dysrhythmias and Conduction Problems
27 Management of Patients With Coronary Vascular Disorders
28 Managements of Patients With Structural, Infectious, and Inflammatory Cardiac Disorders
29 Management of Patients With Complications from Heart Disease
30 Assessment and Management of Patients With Vascular Disorders and Problems of Peripheral Circulation
31 Assessment and Management of Patients With Hypertension
Unit 7 Hematologic Function
32 Assessment of Hematologic Function
33 Management of Patients With Nonmalignant Hematologic Disorders
34 Management of Patients With Hematologic Neoplasms
Unit 8 Immunologic Function
35 Assessment of Immune Function
36 Management of Patients With Immunodeficiency Disorders
37 Management of Patients With HIV Infection and AIDS
38 Assessment and Management of Patients With Allergic Disorders
39 Assessment and Management of Patients With Rheumatic Disorders
Unit 9 Musculoskeletal Function
40 Assessment of Musculoskeletal Function
41 Musculoskeletal Care Modalities
42 Management of Patients With Musculoskeletal Disorders
43 Management of Patients With Musculoskeletal Trauma
Unit 10 Digestive and Gastrointestinal Function
44 Assessment of Digestive and Gastrointestinal Function
45 Digestive and Gastrointestinal Treatment Modalities
46 Management of Patients with Oral and Esophageal Disorders
47 Management of Patients with Gastric and Duodenal Disorders
48 Management of Patients With Intestinal and Rectal Disorders
Unit 11 Metabolic and Endocrine Function
49 Assessment and Management of Patients with Hepatic Disorders
50 Assessment and Management of Patients with Biliary Disorders
51 Assessment and Management of Patients with Diabetes
52 Assessment and Management of Patients with Endocrine Disorders
Unit 12 Kidney and Urinary Function
53 Assessment of Kidney and Urinary Function
54 Management of Patients with Kidney Disorders
55 Management of Patients with Urinary Disorders
Unit 13 Reproductive Function
56 Assessment and Management of Female Physiologic Processes
57 Management of Patients with Female Reproductive Disorders
58 Assessment and Management of Patients with Breast Disorders
59 Assessment and Management of Problems Related to Male Reproductive Processes
Unit 14 Integumentary Function
60 Assessment of Integumentary Function
61 Managements of Patients with Dermatologic Problems
62 Managements of Patients with Burn Injury
Unit 15 Sensory Function
63 Assessment and Management of Patients with Eye and Vision Disorders
64 Assessment and Management of Patients with Hearing and Balance Disorders
Unit 16 Neurologic Function
65 Assessment of Neurologic Function
66 Management of Patients with Neurologic Dysfunction
67 Management of Patients with Cerebrovascular Disorders
68 Management of Patients with Neurologic Trauma
69 Management of Patients with Neurologic Infections, Autoimmune Disorders, and Neuropathies
70 Management of Patients with Oncologic or Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit 17 Acute Community Based Challenges
71 Management of Patients With Infectious Diseases
72 Emergency Nursing
73 Terrorism, Mass Casualty, and Disaster Nursing
Appendix A Diagnostic Studies and Interpretation, Available on thePoint
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
i am very upset as well, i ordered this book new and they only sent me volume 1 even thought it says it is a two-volume set. the representative insisted that it was delivered to my home. This is such an inconvenience. I've been on hold for 20 mins now. I really hope this problem gets resolved before school starts.
I was very disappointed to find that after I ordered this book new, they only sent me Volume 2 even though it is a two-volume set. They are now sending me Volume 1, but did not assist me in finding a way to have access to book in the mean time even though I need it for my class .
The same thing happened to me! Only got volume 1, make sure you check right when you receive your order that both volumes are included! Trying to do my assigned reading when I figured this out, on hold now!