Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Vol. 1by Thornton W Burgess, Harrison Cady (Illustrator)
The four books in "Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Volume 1" are a continuation of Thornton W. Burgess's long running - and much beloved - series of children's nature books about the Green Meadow, the Green Forest, and the Smiling Pool. Young readers, and listeners, travel to this timeless world and learn gentle lessons about nature, the environment, and the "lesser folk of fur and feathers."
• * Children will love hearing, and reading, about what happens when Reddy Fox gets bold and then careless, why Granny Fox has to take care of him and how the other little forest people help him out, and why Farmer Brown's boy hunts Reddy Fox. Then they read about Johnny Chuck and his adventures when he gives away his home and travels around looking for a new home, why he fights with the first chuck he meets but not the second, where he decides to build his new house, and what happens when Sammy Jay discovers his new house and his new secret! Then Peter Rabbit tries to change his name, Reddy Fox invites him to breakfast, Shadow the Weasel invades the Briar-patch, and then first Johnny Chuck, then Old Grandfather Frog, and then even Ol' Mistah Buzzard, say they will see Peter in the Spring, but it is not yet winter! Finally, Unc' Billy Possum gets caught by Farmer Brown's boy, he gets away, but then gets trapped in the hen-house, he escapes the hen-house only to get trapped in a tree, and then Happy Jack the Squirrel helps him get home safely.
• * Any imaginative child will be captivated by this book. The chapters are short, with simple language, and is printed in easy-to-read 14-point type. Read aloud to pre-readers, or read by children themselves, this book will surely be a family favorite in no time.
• * "Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Volume 1" includes: The Adventures of Reddy Fox," "The Adventures of Johnny Chuck," "The Adventures of Peter Cottontail," and "The Adventures of Unc' Billy Possum." This volume includes all the stories and the original twenty-four illustrations from the first editions published in 1913, 1913, 1914, and 1914, respectively.
• * Check out the other Thornton Burgess books published by Flying Chipmunk Publishing at www.FlyingChipmunkPublishing.com (and download the FREE 20 page "Mother West Wind/Peter Rabbit Coloring Book" available there!), and you can Friend us on FB to get information on our latest releases.
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.81(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews