Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Vol. 3by Thornton W Burgess, Harrison Cady (Illustrator)
Children will love hearing, and reading, about Chatterer the Red Squirrel and his adventures in the Green Meadows and Green Forest as he desperately uses Redtail the Hawk, one of his other deadliest foes, to escape being dinner for Shadow the Weasel. Then he decides to move to the Green Meadows to escape Shadow, and discovers Farmer Brown's corn-crib is a wonderful place for corn dinners! But then Farmer Brown's boy catches him! Will he escape or will he become Black Pussy's next meal?
• * Read about the adventures of Sammy Jay as he matches wits with Chatterer the Red Squirrel as Chatterer frightens Sammy and Sammy, in turn, traps Chatterer into fetching him corn from Farmer Brown's corncrib. Peter Rabbit, Reddy Fox, Black Pussy, Roughleg the Hawk, and even Farmer Brown's boy all get involved with the different tricks Sammy and Chatterer play on each other.
• * Learn what happens when Buster Bear takes Little Joe Otter's breakfast and how Little Joe gets even, and then accidentally gives Buster the best breakfast he's every had! Then the Little People of the forest are thrilled to hear that Farmer Brown's boy is scared of Buster Bear, but Blacky the Crow is suspicious and comes up with a plan to see if that is really true, and everyone is surprised at the result. And then Buster Bear gets into Farmer Brown's boy's berry bucket and everything goes wrong!
• * Old Mr. Toad is acting strangely, and his behavior puzzles his friends in the Green Meadow. He was in a hurry, and Old Mr. Toad never hurries unless he is in danger. But this time he says he has a very important engagement. See what Jimmy Skunk, Peter Cottontail, Billy Possum, and some of the other animals discover as they secretly follow him. And then Peter Cottontail meets Mr. Toad's children, is amazed at his unusual tongue, and accidentally offends Mr. Toad! But that's not all, Mr. Toad gets a scare, and then makes friends with Buster Bear, but at the expense of the rest of his friends. How does all this turn out?
• * The four books in "Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Volume 3" are a continuation of Thornton W. Burgess's long running - and much beloved - series of children's nature books about the Green Meadow, the Green Forest, and the Smiling Pool. Young readers, and listeners, travel to this timeless world and learn gentle lessons about nature, the environment, and the "lesser folk of fur and feathers." Any imaginative child will be captivated by this book. The chapters are short, with simple language, and is printed in easy-to-read 14-point type. Read aloud to pre-readers, or read by children themselves, this book will surely be a family favorite in no time.
• * "Burgess' Bedtime Story-Books, Volume 3" includes: "The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel," "The Adventures of Sammy Jay," "The Adventures of Buster Bear," and "The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad." This volume includes all the stories and the original twenty-four illustrations from the first editions published in 1915, 1915, 1916, and 1916, respectively.
• * Check out the other Thornton Burgess books published by Flying Chipmunk Publishing at www.FlyingChipmunkPublishing.com (and download the FREE 20 page "Mother West Wind/Peter Rabbit Coloring Book" available there!), and you can Friend us on FB to get information on our latest releases.
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.75(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews