Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions / Edition 2by Ron Larson, Bruce H. Edwards, Robert P. Hostetler
Designed for the three-semester engineering calculus sequence, Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions offers fully integrated coverage of exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions throughout the first semester, within the hallmark balanced approach of the Larson team. A rich variety of applications encountered earlier in the course prepares/i>… See more details below
Designed for the three-semester engineering calculus sequence, Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions offers fully integrated coverage of exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions throughout the first semester, within the hallmark balanced approach of the Larson team. A rich variety of applications encountered earlier in the course prepares students for concurrent physics, chemistry, and engineering courses. This edition features nearly 10,000 diverse and flexible exercises, carefully graded in sets progressing from skill-development problems to more rigorous application and proof problems.
- New! P.S. Problem Solving sections thought-provoking and challenging exercises at the end of each chapter require students to use a variety of problem-solving skills as they work with calculus concepts.
- New! Getting at the Concept exercises, boxed and titled for easy reference, check a student's understanding of the basic concepts of each section.
- Think About It conceptual exercises require students to use their critical-thinking skills and help them develop an intuitive understanding of the underlying theory of the calculus.
- Multi-part Modeling Data questions ask students to find and interpret mathematical models to fit real-life data, often through the use of a graphing utility.
- Section Projects, extended applications at the end of selected exercise sets, can be assigned to individual students or used in a collaborative or peer-assisted learning environment.
- Writing Exercises help students develop reasoning skills and discuss mathematical concepts.
- True or False Exercises in manyexercise sets help students focus on concepts, common errors, and the correct statements of definitions and theorems.
- Revised! Review Exercises, now grouped and correlated by text section, provide students with a more effective study tool, enabling them to target the concepts they need to review.
- Answers to all odd-numbered exercises are included in the back of the text.
- Integrated use of technology (optional and identified by an icon) encourages students to use a graphing utility or computer algebra system as a tool for exploration, discovery, and problem solving.
- Interactive Calculus Early Transcendental Functions 3.0 CD-ROM and Internet Calculus Early Transcendental Functions 2.0 web site, referred to in the text by an IC icon, offer enhanced opportunities for exploration and visualization using the program itself and/or a computer algebra system.
- CAS Examples, also identified in the text by an icon, offer opportunities for interactive exploration using Maple, Mathcad, Mathematica, or Derive.
- Explorations, optional boxed projects, enable students to discover selected concepts on their own, before being exposed to them in the text, making them more likely to remember the results.
- Motivating the Chapter, data-driven, chapter-opening applications, explore the concepts to be covered in the chapter in the context of a real-world setting. Following a short introduction, open-ended questions guide the students through an introduction to the main themes of the chapter.
- More than 1000 examples in the Third Edition enhance the usefulness of the text as a study tool for all types of learners. Each example is titled for easy reference and many offer detailed solutions, often with annotations, presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts.
- Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
Table of Contents
1. PREPARATION FOR CALCULUS. Graphs and Models. Linear Models and Rates of Change. Functions and Their Graphs. Fitting Models to Data. Inverse Functions. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 2. LIMITS AND THEIR PROPERTIES. A Preview of Calculus. Finding Limits Graphically and Numerically. Evaluating Limits Analytically. Continuity and One-Sided Limits. Infinite Limits. Section Project: Graphs and Limits of Trigonometric Functions. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 3. DIFFERENTIATION. The Derivative and the Tangent Line Problem. Basic Differentiation Rules and Rates of Change. Product and Quotient Rules and Higher-Order Derivatives. The Chain Rule. Implicit Differentiation. Section Project: Optical Illusions. Derivatives of Inverse Functions, Related Rates. Newton's Method. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 4. APPLICATIONS OF DIFFERENTIATION. Extrema on an Interval. Rolle's Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. Increasing and Decreasing Functions and the First Derivative Test. Section Project: Rainbows. Concavity and the Second Derivative Test. Limits at Infinity. A Summary of Curve Sketching. Optimization Problems. Section Project: Connecticut River. Differentials. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 5. INTEGRATION. Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integration. Area. Riemann Sums and Definite Integrals. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Section Project: Demonstrating the Fundamental Theorem. Integration by Substitution. Numerical Integration. The Natural Logarithmic Function: Integration. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: Integration. Hyperbolic Functions. Section Project: St. Louis Arch. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 6. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS. Slope Fields and Euler's Method. Differential Equations: Growth and Decay. Differential Equations: Separation of Variables. The Logistic Equation. First-Order Linear Differential Equations. Section Project: Weight Loss. Predator-Prey Differential Equations. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 7. APPLICATIONS OF INTEGRATION. Area of a Region Between Two Curves. Volume: The Disk Method. Volume: The Shell Method. Section Project: Saturn. Arc Length and Surfaces of Revolution. Work. Section Project: Tidal Energy. Moments, Centers of Mass, and Centroids. Fluid Pressure and Fluid Force. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 8. INTEGRATION TECHNIQUES, L'HOPITAL'S RULE, AND IMPROPER INTEGRALS. Basic Integration Rules. Integration by Parts. Trigonometric Integrals. Section Project: Power Lines. Trigonometric Substitution. Partial Fractions. Integration by Tables and Other Integration Techniques. Indeterminate Forms and L'Hopital's Rule. Improper Integrals. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 9. INFINITE SERIES. Sequences. Series and Convergence. Section Project: Cantor's Disappearing Table. The Integral Test and p-Series. Section Project: The Harmonic Series. Comparisons of Series. Section Project: Solera Method. Alternating Series. The Ratio and Root Tests. Taylor Polynomials and Approximations. Power Series. Representation of Functions by Power Series. Taylor and Maclaurin Series. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 10. CONICS, PARAMETRIC EQUATIONS, AND POLAR COORDINATES. Conics and Calculus. Plane Curves and Parametric Equations. Section Project: Cycloids. Parametric Equations and Calculus. Polar Coordinates and Polar Graphs. Section Project: Anamorphic Art. Area and Arc Length in Polar Coordinates. Polar Equations of Conics and Kepler's Laws. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 11. VECTORS AND THE GEOMETRY OF SPACE. Vectors in the Plane. Space Coordinates and Vectors in Space. The Dot Product of Two Vectors. The Cross Product of Two Vectors in Space. Lines and Planes in Space. Section Project: Distances in Space. Surfaces in Space. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 12. VECTOR-VALUED FUNCTIONS. Vector-Valued Functions. Section Project: Witch of Agnesi. Differentiation and Integration of Vector-Valued Functions. Velocity and Acceleration. Tangent Vectors and Normal Vectors. Arc Length and Curvature. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 13. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES. Introduction to Functions of Several Variables. Limits and Continuity. Partial Derivatives. Section Project: Moire Fringes. Differentials. Chain Rules for Functions of Several Variables. Directional Derivatives and Gradients. Tangent Planes and Normal Lines. Section Project: Wildflowers. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Applications of Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Section Project: Building a Pipeline. Lagrange Multipliers. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 14. MULTIPLE INTEGRATION. Iterated Integrals and Area in the Plane. Double Integrals and Volume. Change of Variables: Polar Coordinates. Center of Mass and Moments of Inertia. Section Project: Center of Pressure on a Sail. Surface Area. Section Project: Capillary Action. Triple Integrals and Applications. Triple Integrals in Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Section Project: Wrinkled and Bumpy Spheres. Change of Variables: Jacobians. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 15. VECTOR ANALYSIS. Vector Fields. Line Integrals. Conservative Vector Fields and Independence of Path. Green's Theorem. Section Project: Hyperbolic and Trigonometric Functions. Parametric Surfaces. Surface Integrals. Section Project: Hyperboloid of One Sheet. Divergence Theorem. Stokes's Theorem. Review Exercises. Section Project: The Planimeter. P.S. Problem Solving. 16. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS (Web). Exact First-Order Equations. Second-Order Homogeneous Linear Equations. Second-Order Nonhomogeneous Linear Equations. Series Solutions of Differential Equations. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. APPENDIX. A. Proofs of Selected Theorems (Web). B. Integration Tables. C. Precalculus Review. (Web). C.1 Real Numbers and the Real Number Line. C.2 The Cartesian Plane. C.3 Review of Trigonometric Functions. D. Rotation and the General Second-Degree Equation (Web). E. Complex Numbers. (Web).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >