California Geology / Edition 1by Deborah R. Harden
Pub. Date: 10/31/1997
Publisher: Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
Organized to introduce basic principles and work toward a unifying picture of California geology. With California plate tectonics as a central theme, this book is intended to acquaint non- geologists with California geology. Contains examples of catastrophic natural disasters, excerpts from California history, illustrations of mining methods, and discussions of the societal impacts of geologic processes. A book for practicing geologists in California or any region where fault lines are present and plate tectonics affect the immediate geography.
- Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.72(w) x 9.58(h) x 0.96(d)
Table of Contents
I. BASIC PRINCIPLES OF GEOLOGY.
1. Plate Tectonics and California.
2. California's Rocks.
3. Geologic Time, Dating Earth Materials, and California Fossils.
4. Geologic Maps and Sources of Information.
II. GEOLOGICAL HIGHLIGHTS OF CALIFORNIA.
5. Young Volcanoes: The Cascades, the Modoc Plateau, and the Long Valley Caldera.
6. California's Deserts: Climate, Changing Environments, and Resources.
7. The Basin and Range and Mojave Desert: Old Rocks and Young Faults.
8. The Sierra Nevada: Granite, Gold, and Glaciers.
9. The Klamath Mountains: Accreted Terranes and a View of the Mantle.
10. Water in California.
11. The Great Valley: Sediments and Soils.
12. The Coast Ranges: Mountains of Complexity.
13. Earthquakes, Faults, and Seismic Safety.
14. The San Andreas Fault System.
15. The California Coast.
16. The Transverse Ranges, The Los Angeles Basin, and the Offshore Islands: Compression and Rapid Change.
17. The Peninsular Ranges.
III. CALIFORNIA GEOLOGY: AN INTEGRATED VIEW.
18. The Evolution of California Through Geologic Time.
19. Geology and California Citizens.
PLATES: INSIDE FRONT AND BACK COVERS.
Plate 1. Geologic Map of California.
Plate 2. Fault Map of California.
Plate 3. Digital Shaded Relief Map of California.
Plate 4. Map Showing Major Mountain Ranges, Streams, Lakes, Highways, and Cities of California.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >