Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology / Edition 5by Vincent T. Jr. DeVita
Pub. Date: 01/28/1997
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Acclaimed by the worldwide medical community as the standard-setting oncology reference, Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology is now in its Sixth Edition. This thoroughly revised and updated classic reflects the latest breakthroughs in every aspect of oncology, from molecular biology, to multimodality treatment, to new data on cancer prevention by drugs and diet. This edition places increased emphasis on the role of molecular biology in cancer diagnosis and treatment. In light of the growing clinical importance of biological therapy, a new section on Pharmacology of Cancer Biotherapeutics has been added. Chapters describe new radiotherapy techniques such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy and innovative surgical techniques such as radiofrequency ablation of tumors, isolation-perfusion for visceral cancers, and image-guided surgery. Rehabilitation is integrated into each of this edition's chapters on organ-specific cancers. Also included are new chapters on information systems in oncology, particularly on accessing information from the World Wide Web.
This edition now includes a CD-ROM bound into the book: The CD-ROM has advanced search capabilities and gives you full text, high-quality video and color slides not found in the book, direct links to PubMed, and links to our new oncology portal. The CD-ROM is also available separately.
- Major emphasis on the role of molecular biology in cancer diagnosis and treatment -- both in general principle and in each organ-specific cancer.
- Expanded emphasis on the text's hallmark -- the integrated and balanced use of "all aspects of oncology for the treatment of individual patients by stage of disease."
- New section on the Pharmacology of Cancer biotherapeutics details the importance of these new agents as effective treatments in cancer management.
- The latest on cancer prevention--including new and updated information on drugs and diet--enables you to prescribe effective measures for keeping patients healthy.
- New chapters on innovative surgical and radiotherapeutic techniques, including "Management of Peritoneal Carcinomas," "Isolation-Perfusion for the Treatment of Visceral Cancers," "Image-Guided Surgery," and "Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy" -- ensure your conversancy with cutting-edge developments.
- New, stronger focus on supportive care and care of the terminally ill deepens your understanding of these important and specialized aspects of treatment.
- New chapters on information systems in oncology emphasize accessing information from the Internet to help you stay as current and knowledgeable as possible.
- CD-ROM IN THE BACK OF THE BOOK! The accompanying CD-ROM has advanced search capabilities and gives you full text, high-quality video and color slides not found in the book, direct links to PubMed, and links to our new oncology portal -- LWWoncology.com.
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.89(w) x 11.30(h) x 3.37(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >