Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology / Edition 5by Vincent T. Jr. DeVita
Pub. Date: 01/28/1997
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Acclaimed by the worldwide medical community as the standard-setting oncology reference, Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology is now in its Sixth Edition. This thoroughly revised and updated classic reflects the latest breakthroughs in every aspect of oncology, from molecular biology, to multimodality treatment, to new data on cancer prevention by drugs/i>… See more details below
Acclaimed by the worldwide medical community as the standard-setting oncology reference, Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology is now in its Sixth Edition. This thoroughly revised and updated classic reflects the latest breakthroughs in every aspect of oncology, from molecular biology, to multimodality treatment, to new data on cancer prevention by drugs and diet. This edition places increased emphasis on the role of molecular biology in cancer diagnosis and treatment. In light of the growing clinical importance of biological therapy, a new section on Pharmacology of Cancer Biotherapeutics has been added. Chapters describe new radiotherapy techniques such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy and innovative surgical techniques such as radiofrequency ablation of tumors, isolation-perfusion for visceral cancers, and image-guided surgery. Rehabilitation is integrated into each of this edition's chapters on organ-specific cancers. Also included are new chapters on information systems in oncology, particularly on accessing information from the World Wide Web.
This edition now includes a CD-ROM bound into the book: The CD-ROM has advanced search capabilities and gives you full text, high-quality video and color slides not found in the book, direct links to PubMed, and links to our new oncology portal. The CD-ROM is also available separately.
- Major emphasis on the role of molecular biology in cancer diagnosis and treatment -- both in general principle and in each organ-specific cancer.
- Expanded emphasis on the text's hallmark -- the integrated and balanced use of "all aspects of oncology for the treatment of individual patients by stage of disease."
- New section on the Pharmacology of Cancer biotherapeutics details the importance of these new agents as effective treatments in cancer management.
- The latest on cancer prevention--including new and updated information on drugs and diet--enables you to prescribe effective measures for keeping patients healthy.
- New chapters on innovative surgical and radiotherapeutic techniques, including "Management of Peritoneal Carcinomas," "Isolation-Perfusion for the Treatment of Visceral Cancers," "Image-Guided Surgery," and "Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy" -- ensure your conversancy with cutting-edge developments.
- New, stronger focus on supportive care and care of the terminally ill deepens your understanding of these important and specialized aspects of treatment.
- New chapters on information systems in oncology emphasize accessing information from the Internet to help you stay as current and knowledgeable as possible.
- CD-ROM IN THE BACK OF THE BOOK! The accompanying CD-ROM has advanced search capabilities and gives you full text, high-quality video and color slides not found in the book, direct links to PubMed, and links to our new oncology portal -- LWWoncology.com.
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.89(w) x 11.30(h) x 3.37(d)
Table of Contents
|1||Essentials of Molecular Biology: Basic Principles||3|
|2||Essentials of Molecular Biology: Genomics and Cancer||17|
|3||Essentials of Signal Transduction||31|
|4||Essentials of Immunology||43|
|5||Molecular Biology of Cancer: Cytogenetics||77|
|6||Molecular Biology of Cancer: The Cell Cycle||91|
|7||Molecular Biology of Cancer: Apoplosis||111|
|8||Molecular Biology of Cancer: Invasion and Metastases||123|
|9||Biology of Cancer: Angiogenesis||137|
|10||Etiology of Cancer: Viruses||149|
|11||Etiology of Cancer: Chemical Factors||179|
|12||Etiology of Cancer: Physical Factors||195|
|13||Etiology of Cancer: Cancer Genetics||207|
|14||Epidemiology of Cancer||219|
|15||Principles of Cancer Management: Surgical Oncology||253|
|16||Principles of Cancer Management: Radiation Therapy||265|
|17||Principles of Cancer Management: Chemotherapy||289|
|18||Principles of Cancer Management: Biologic Therapy||307|
|19||Pharmacology of Cancer Chemotherapy||335|
|20||Pharmacology of Cancer Biotherapeutics||461|
|21||Clinical Trials in Cancer||521|
|22||Cancer Prevention: Preventing Tobacco-Related Cancers||549|
|23||Cancer Prevention: Diet and Chemopreventive Agents||561|
|24||Cancer Prevention: Role of Surgery in Cancer Prevention||617|
|26||Cancer Diagnosis: Molecular Pathology||641|
|27||Cancer Diagnosis: Imaging||659|
|28||Cancer Diagnosis: Endoscopy||721|
|29||Specialized Techniques in Cancer Management||739|
|30||Cancer of the Head and Neck||789|
|31||Cancer of the Lung||917|
|32||Neoplasms of the Mediastinum||1019|
|33||Cancers of the Gastrointestinal Tract||1037|
|34||Cancers of the Genitourinary System||1343|
|35||Cancer of the Testis||1491|
|37||Cancer of the Breast||1633|
|38||Cancer of the Endocrine System||1727|
|39||Sarcomas of the Soft Tissue and Bone||1841|
|40||Benign and Malignant Mesothelioma||1937|
|41||Cancer of the Skin||1971|
|43||Neoplasms of the Central Nervous System||2091|
|44||Cancers of Childhood||2161|
|48||Cancer of Unknown Primary Site||2537|
|52||Treatment of Metastatic Cancer||2655|
|54||Infections in the Cancer Patient||2815|
|55||Adverse Effects of Treatment||2869|
|56||Supportive Care and Quality of Life||2977|
|57||Rehabilitation of the Cancer Patient||3089|
|58||Advanced Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants in Oncology Care||3111|
|59||Ethical Issues in Oncology and Clinical Trials||3119|
|60||Information Systems in Oncology||3135|
|61||Complementary: Alternative, and Unproven Methods of Cancer Treatment||3147|
|65||Proton Beam Radiation Therapy||3229|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >