- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The two Canyon Ranch spas are rated No.1 and No.2 (they alternate positions) over and over by readers of the Conde Nast Traveler. Part of the allure are their stunning locations ? in the hills of Tucson, Arisona, and in the Berkshire mountains in Massachusetts ? but one of the best parts of a visit to Canyon Ranch is the food.
Jeanne Jones developed and supervised the Canyon Ranch menu, and in Canyon Ranch Cooking, she offers everyone a chance to eat the spas' low-cal, ...
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
The two Canyon Ranch spas are rated No.1 and No.2 (they alternate positions) over and over by readers of the Conde Nast Traveler. Part of the allure are their stunning locations — in the hills of Tucson, Arisona, and in the Berkshire mountains in Massachusetts — but one of the best parts of a visit to Canyon Ranch is the food.
Jeanne Jones developed and supervised the Canyon Ranch menu, and in Canyon Ranch Cooking, she offers everyone a chance to eat the spas' low-cal, low-fat delicious food. The recipes all have detailed nutritional breakdowns to help you plan a healthy meal with a lot of variety. Perhaps best of all are the tips and techniques to help enhance flavor without adding calories. Why does spa food taste so good when nearly all the fat has been removed? Jones reveals all the secrets — such as adding citrus or vinegar to lift "flat" flavors; grilling over aromatic wood; marinating meat and vegetables; cooking at low temperatures for long periods to "marry" flavors; roasting rapidly for crispy crusts and tender interiors; using dried fruit for rich and creamy fat-free sauces; and much, much more. Try the Canyon Ranch Guacamole, Osso Bucco and Cheese Enchiladas; enjoy Chocolate Mint Cake and Cherry Streusel Pie. This is not a cuisine of deprivation — the food is wonderful, and the recipes for making it easy and sensible.
This book can't give you a workout or a hike, but it does tell you how to plan your own spa weekend at home, with suggestions for exercise, relaxation, even theme parties for special Saturday night dining. The wonderful recipes and the luscious photographs are here to delight and inspire. With Canyon Ranch Cooking, the spa comes to you.
Chicken Burger with Three Mustard Sauce
Makes 4 Servings
These spicy chicken burgers are a delightful departure from the more usual beef burgers and are about 50 percent lower in fat. You can also make them with ground turkey breast, but be sure it is ground without the skin.
Three Mustard Sauce:
11/2 tablespoons diced onion
11/2 tablespoons diced celery
1 tablespoon non-alcoholic white wine
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon green peppercorn mustard
1/2 cup fat-free chicken stock
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
pinch dried thyme, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 pound ground skinless chicken breast
1/2 pound ground skinless chicken dark meat
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 drops tabasco sauce
4 small whole-grain hamburger buns
4 tomato slices
4 lettuce leaves
1. To make the mustard sauce, combine the onion and celery in a small saucepan and cook, covered, over low heat until the onion is translucent, adding a little water if necessary to prevent scorching. Add the white wine and mustards and mix well. Add the chicken stock and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and remove from heat. Pour the sauce into a bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Combine the onion, thyme, and parsley in a skillet and cook, covered, over very low heat until the onion is translucent, adding a little water if necessary to prevent scorching. Remove from the heat and spoon the onion mixture into a bowl. Add the ground chicken, pepper,Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco and mix well. Divide the chicken mixture into 4 patties.
3. Prepare the coals for grilling or preheat the broiler and grill or broil the patties about 4 minutes per side, or until done.
4. To serve, place each chicken burger on a bun with a slice of tomato and a lettuce leaf. Serve 2 tablespoons of mustard sauce per serving on the side.
Each serving contains approximately:
Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 77 Mg
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Banana Waffles with Maple Walnut Syrup
Makes 2 Waffles, or 4 Servings
These waffles are a great breakfast or brunch entree for parties. They can be made ahead of time and reheated just before serving. For an even prettier presentation, garnish each serving with a slice of grilled banana and a sprig of mint.
Maple Walnut Syrup:2 tablespoons all-fruit cherry or berry jam
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons corn oil
1/4 cup egg whites
3/4 cup low-fat (2 percent) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons toasted and chopped walnuts
1. Combine all the ingredients for the syrup, mix well, and setaside.
2. Preheat a waffle iron.
3. Combine the bananas, corn oil, egg whites, milk, andvanilla in a bowl and beat until blended. Add the flours,baking powder, and salt and mix well.
4. Spray the hot waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.Spoon 3/4 cup of the batter onto the center of the waffleiron. Cook until a golden brown, or until it stops steaming.Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. To serve, halve each waffle and top each half with 1tablespoon of syrup and 1 teaspoon of toasted walnuts.
Each serving contains approximately:
Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 279 mg
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 8 g
Posted January 11, 2006
When you buy a cookbook, you just never know exactly what you're going to get. But this book not only has beautful pictures and wonderful descriptions, but well tested recipes that you will be proud to make. Absolutely delicious!!Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
Posted November 1, 2001
Delightful recipies, many are very quick and easy to prepare. So far I have made 5 things from the book and all have received rave reviews.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
Posted June 26, 2011
No text was provided for this review.