Cardiovascular Therapeutics: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Diseaseby Elliott M. Antman
This companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease equips you with all of today's most effective therapeutic guidelines and management solutions for the full range of heart disease patients. It reflects the most recent standards for drug management as well as the latest in new technologies. Reorganized to mirror your changing practice, each cardiovascular-problem-based… See more details below
This companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease equips you with all of today's most effective therapeutic guidelines and management solutions for the full range of heart disease patients. It reflects the most recent standards for drug management as well as the latest in new technologies. Reorganized to mirror your changing practice, each cardiovascular-problem-based section offers a chapter on pharmacologic treatment (with a minimum of pathophysiology)...a chapter on catheter-based or minimally invasive interventions...and a discussion of surgical options. You'll also find a brand-new chapter on gene therapy and stem cell therapy, plus new chapters on many other rapidly developing areas of practice. The result is an outstanding single-volume source for state-of-the-art, clinically oriented guidance on both common and unusual areas of cardiovascular treatment.
- Facilitates the decision-making process clinicians face when choosing among various cardiovascular therapeutic options.
- covers the latest concepts in pathophysiology, evaluation, and management of patients with cardiovascular disorders
- Addresses pharmacological, interventional, and surgical management approaches for each type of cardiovascular disease, putting advice on the full range of therapeutic options at your disposal.
- Keeps you current with brand-new chapters on gene therapy and stem cell therapy * unstable and chronic stable angina * management of unstable angina and non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction * devices for heart failure and arrhythmias * prevention of ischemic disease * the regulatory approval process for new cardiovascular drugs and devices * and more.
- Delivers a fully revised section on "Heart Failure" that explores cardiac resynchronization therapy, surgical interventions, ambulatory management, hospital management, and cardiac transplantation and circulatory support devices.
- Offers a completely updated section on "Other Cardiovascular Conditions" that addresses issues such as pharmacologic treatment of cardiovascular disease during pregnancy * care for adults with congenital heart disease * treatment of primary pulmonary hypertension * prevention and treatment of infective endocarditis * treatment of pericardial disease * and rehabilitation of the patient with cardiovascular disease.
- Reflects a new emphasis on the role of diet and exercise in the management of cardiovascular problems in conformity with ACC/AHA/ESC guidelines.
Description: This therapy-focused companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease, 6th edition (W. B. Saunders, 2001) covers such topics as congestive heart failure, ischemic heart disease, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia. There is an occasional cross reference to the main textbook.
Purpose: The book is intended to update clinicians on new evidence-based treatments.
Audience: Cardiologists and cardiovascular trainees as well as internal medicine and primary care physicians will find good information in this book.
Features: All areas of cardiovascular medicine are covered in the nine sections and 56 chapters of this book. The first chapter is devoted to methods and tools to evaluate the tests and trials, especially the use of meta-analysis and cost effectiveness analysis. The section on lipid management includes the new ATP III Guidelines and lists all classes of anticholesterol/lipid medications as well as techniques such as LDL apheresis and surgical treatments. Interventional techniques in cardiology are well covered in 10 chapters, including a discussion of cost effectiveness of various interventional techniques. Valvular heart disease and the indications and timing of valvular heart surgery are particularly well done. There is an emphasis on noninvasive evaluation of valvular heart disease prior to invasive therapies. The highlights include three appendixes that give detailed descriptions by manufacturer and trade names of various cardiovascular drugs, catheters, stents, and left ventricular assist devices. There are only four color drawings: of the L channel, heparin action, and left ventricular assist devices. The rest of the drawings are black and white, but there are many tables. Each chapter contains extensive and up-to-date references.
Assessment: The book leads off with an important chapter on tools and methods to assess the trials and the accuracy of tests such as sensitivity, specificity, and the likelihood of disease, as well as operating characteristic curves (ROC). This book is twice the size of a companion to the previous edition of Braunwald's Heart Disease, 5th edition (W. B. Saunders, 1999), Clinical Trials and Cardiovascular Disease, by Hennekens (W. B. Saunders, 1999). Although this book is listed as a companion to the larger book, Cardiovascular Therapeutics could very well stand on its own. This is a worthwhile addition to the literature.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 38 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >