- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Imagine if life came with a handbook to help get you throughjust about every potentially awkward, stressful, or over-the-topsituation, with humor, grace, and dignity intact. Life doesn't comewith a handbook—but now business does. In Career and CorporateCool, style and marketing maven Rachel Weingarten defines anddetails the elements necessary to succeed and stand out in themodern work environment. It's filled with witty and user-friendlyadvice on building your personal brand equity in the business worldwhile ...
Imagine if life came with a handbook to help get you throughjust about every potentially awkward, stressful, or over-the-topsituation, with humor, grace, and dignity intact. Life doesn't comewith a handbook—but now business does. In Career and CorporateCool, style and marketing maven Rachel Weingarten defines anddetails the elements necessary to succeed and stand out in themodern work environment. It's filled with witty and user-friendlyadvice on building your personal brand equity in the business worldwhile staying true to yourself. A hybrid of business and style,it's a cheat sheet for your professional life, with fun and helpfulanecdotes from people who've been there.
While an off-color joke generally won't play in a cubicleenvironment, it can be a job requirement for a professionalcomedian. Fortune 500 companies tend to frown on perceived sexualharassment in the workplace while massage therapists touch nakedstrangers on a daily basis. Career and Corporate Cool helps youunderstand not only what's appropriate and acceptable in your ownwork environment, but how best to translate and incorporate yourpersonal style into the accepted mix.
Proving that smart business and great style aren't mutuallyexclusive, Weingarten covers topics that help you define and refinecrucial elements of your professional persona:
Communication Skills—from the basics to the personalizeddetails that get you noticed
Networking—which contacts are worth pursuing, and how toinitiate, create, and maintain relationships
Fashion, Beauty, and Grooming Advice—translate yourday-to-day look to a polished style that best suits you
Quizzes and Worksheets—to help you evaluate your coolquotient
Business Etiquette—social rules and tools to ease youthrough every situation
Gender Differences in the Workplace—navigate thedifferences between male and female work styles
Advice from Experts—learn from their successesandfailures
For most people, careers happen in the daytime while cool is forafter hours. With common sense and a sharp sense of humor,Weingarten helps you add effortless cool to all elements of yourwork life. Career and Corporate Cool is a must-have referencemanual for the desk set.
1. What is Career & Corporate Cool? (And where can I getsome?).
2. Who Are You? (Quizzes and questions to help you to defineyour personal style).
3. Culture Club (How to understand your firm's unique corporateculture and adapt to it without becoming just another cog).
4. Career-O-Rama—(How to dress, act and interact whether you'reat a Fortune 500 Company or a junior executive at an adagency).
5. Attitude Adjustment- (Quick fixes for common mistakes to helpyou to fit in anywhere, and if all else fails fake it 'til you makeit).
6. Personality Plus (The right etiquette, social rules and toolsto help you up the corporate ladder).
7. Accessorize! (From your earrings to your laptop case, whatyour add on say about you).
8. Extra-Curricular Activities (How to dress and act while onthe clock away from the office- at company).
9. Entrepreneurial Extras (Working from home doesn't mean sweatsand fuzzy slippers, how to clean up for any occasion).
10. Hello Gorgeous!(How having a perfectly polished face, subtlygleaming hair and a non-offensive cloud of perfume can make youmore professional).
11. He Says/She Says-(Understand and navigate the differencesbetween male and female work styles).
12. Eat to Live (Healthy nutrition and on the go snacking tipsfor maximum productivity).
13. The Best Guest Or Hostess with the Mostest (Be A Great GuestOr Plan/Throw/Host A Perfect Event Without Losing Your Sanity).
14. On the Road (Protocol, packing tips and fashion advice forbusiness travel).
15. Emergency! Don't Hide If You Eek - Instead Learn ToAccentuate the Negative (Fast fixes in a hurry- how to gracefullyfamily emergencies, the flu, maternity leave and more).
16. Take Note (Present yourself perfectly in your memos, email,IM and phone messages).
17. Let's Hear it for The Boy (Give your significant other aninstant-makeover and make him date worthy for work related events-or better yet, just tell him to read this chapter).
18. Little Black Book (Some top secret resources you'll need tosucceed).
19. Corporate Cool Hall of Fame (Famous CEOs, Entrepreneurs andFilm Icons who have the style we covet).
20. The Twenty Three Rules Of Career And Corporate Cool (Twentythree ways that good business meets great style).
Posted August 19, 2007
I read just about every business book I can get my hands on and fall asleep halfway through. This was the first one that made me laugh- repeatedly while teaching me incredibly valuable tips about the corporate world and how to navigate the tricky parts. Love it!Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
Posted July 27, 2007
Everything I ever wanted to know about being cool but didn't know who to ask has been answered by Rachel Weingarten in this fabulous book. Weingarten wins an applause from me because the book is not only an easy read, she mentions my favorite chocolate shop (See's Candy) on page 214. If you're wondering why a book about being cool in the corporate world has a few paragraphs about chocolate, you'll need to read it to find out. This book covers everything you need to know at work and beyond. It's funny, hip, and beyond cool. Whether you're getting your first job or are ready for retirement, this book will keep you on track and help you have fun at work while impressing the heck outta everyone!Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.