Read an Excerpt
Make a Felt Catnip Toy
This simple catnip toy is very easy to make, even for those with very little sewing experience. Make a bunch to give as gifts!
- 2 sheets of felt, one each of two coordinating colors
- Sewing machine, or needle and thread
- 2 tablespoons dried catnip
- 4 cotton balls
1. Cut one 3-inch x 3-inch (7.6 x 7.6 cm) square out of each color of felt.
2. Cut one 1 V-inch (3.8 cm) circle out of each color of felt. Use a small lid or shot glass as a template, if you need one.
3. Center one of the felt circles on a felt square of the other color. Sew the circle to the square. Repeat for the other circle and square pair.
4. Stack the two squares of felt together with the circles on the outside. Sew the squares together edge to edge on three sides, with a 3/8-inch (1 cm) seam allowance. If you are sewing by hand, be sure to use small stitches.
5. Stuff the opening with the catnip and cotton balls. The cotton balls give the toy more bulk. Sew the remaining side closed.
6. Let your cat enjoy!