Cellular and Molecular Immunology: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access / Edition 6by Abul K. Abbas, Andrew H. Lichtman, Shiv Pillai
Pub. Date: 06/22/2007
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
An exceptionally lucid guide to the latest immunology concepts! Through five best-selling editions, readers worldwide have appreciated this book's in-depth yet straightforward, richly illustrated approach to this complex subject. Now, sweeping updates incorporate the latest discoveries about innate immunity, the organization of lymphoid organs, and many other… See more details below
An exceptionally lucid guide to the latest immunology concepts! Through five best-selling editions, readers worldwide have appreciated this book's in-depth yet straightforward, richly illustrated approach to this complex subject. Now, sweeping updates incorporate the latest discoveries about innate immunity, the organization of lymphoid organs, and many other cutting-edge topics. Plus, online access via STUDENT CONSULT makes this an even more powerful learning resource!
• Clearly explains the experimental observations that form the basis for the science of immunology at the molecular, cellular, and whole-organism levels-and the conclusions that can be drawn from those observations.
• Highlights the implications of immunologic science for the management of human disease, emphasizing the clinical relevance of the material.
• Innate immunity chapter has been increased and moved to the beginning of the book to reflect how this area is newly recognized as a critical part of immunology.
• New material has been added on: - recognition of microbial products by cytoplasmic and membrane sensors - intricate organization of lymphoid tissues - functional heterogeneity of subsets of dendritic cells and lymphocytes - roles of regulatory cells and inhibitory pathways in immune regulation.
• Provides a wealth of excellent full-color photographs and illustrations that enable you to visualize immunologic processes quickly.
• Includes highlighted "take-home messages" that make it easy to review key information.
• Image Collection on Evolve
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
Section I. Introduction to the Immune System
Chapter 1. Properties and Overview of Immune Responses
Chapter 2. Innate Immunity
Chapter 3. Cells and Tissues of the Adaptive Immune System
Section II. Recognition of Antigens
Chapter 4. Antibodies and Antigens
Chapter 5. The Major Histocompatibility Complex
Chapter 6. Antigen Processing and Presentation to T Lymphocytes
Chapter 7. Antigen Receptors and Accessory Molecules of T Lymphocytes
Section III. Maturation, Activation and Regulation of Lymphocytes
Chapter 8. Lymphocyte Development and the Rearrangement and Expression of Antigen Receptor Genes
Chapter 9. Activation of T Lymphocytes
Chapter 10. B Cell Activation and Antibody Production
Chapter 11. Immunologic Tolerance
Section IV. Effector Mechanisms of Immune Responses
Chapter 12. Cytokines
Chapter 13. Effector Mechanisms of Cell-Mediated Immunity
Chapter 14. Effector Mechanisms of Humoral Immunity
Section V. The Immune System in Defense and Disease
Chapter 15. Immunity to Microbes
Chapter 16. Transplantation Immunology
Chapter 17. Immunity to Tumors
Chapter 18. Diseases Caused by Immune Responses: Hypersensitivity and Autoimmunity
Chapter 19. Immediate Hypersensitivity
Chapter 20. Congenital and Acquired Immunodeficiencies
Appendix I: Glossary
Appendix II: Principal Features of Selected CD Molecules
Appendix III: Laboratory Techniques Commonly Used in Immunology
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >