Cellular and Molecular Immunology, Updated Edition: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access / Edition 6by Abul K. Abbas, Andrew H. Lichtman, Shiv Pillai
Pub. Date: 05/26/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Cellular and Molecular Immunology, by Abul K. Abbas, MBBS, Andrew H. Lichtman, MD, PhD and Shiv Pillai, MD, offers an exceptionally lucid guide to the latest immunology concepts! Readers worldwide have appreciated the book's in-depth yet straightforward, richly illustrated approach to this complex subject. Now, sweeping updates incorporate the latest discoveries
Cellular and Molecular Immunology, by Abul K. Abbas, MBBS, Andrew H. Lichtman, MD, PhD and Shiv Pillai, MD, offers an exceptionally lucid guide to the latest immunology concepts! Readers worldwide have appreciated the book's in-depth yet straightforward, richly illustrated approach to this complex subject. Now, sweeping updates incorporate the latest discoveries about innate immunity, the organization of lymphoid organs, and many other cutting-edge topics. Plus, online access via Student Consult makes this an even more powerful learning resource!
• Clearly explains the experimental observations that form the basis for the science of immunology at the molecular, cellular, and whole-organism levelsand the conclusions that can be drawn from those observations.
• Highlights the implications of immunologic science for the management of human disease, emphasizing the clinical relevance of the material.
• Offers access to the complete contents of the book online at www.studentconsult.com to help students prepare for coursework and exams.
• Innate immunity chapter has been increased and moved to the beginning of the book to reflect how this area is newly recognized as a critical part of immunology.
• New material has been added on:
• recognition of microbial products by cytoplasmic and membrane sensors
• intricate organization of lymphoid tissues
• functional heterogeneity of subsets of dendritic cells and lymphocytes
• roles of regulatory cells and inhibitory pathways in immune regulation.
• Provides a wealth of excellent full-color photographs and illustrations that enable you to visualize immunologic processes quickly.
• Includes highlighted "take-home messages" that make it easy to review key information.
• Features instructor resources such including an Image Collection and new 250 question Test Bank on Evolve
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.60(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1 GENERAL PROPERTIES OF IMMUNE RESPONSES 3
CHAPTER 2 CELLS AND TISSUES OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM 14
SECTION II LYMPHOCYTE SPECIFICITY AND ACTIVATION 31
CHAPTER 3 ANTIBODIES AND ANTIGENS 33
CHAPTER 4 MATURATION OF B LYMPHOCYTES AND EXPRESSION OF IMMUNOGLOBULIN GENES 65
CHAPTER 5 THE MAJOR HISTOCOMPATIBILITY COMPLEX 96
CHAPTER 6 ANTIGEN PROCESSING AND PRESENTATION TO T LYMPHOCYTES 115
CHAPTER 7 MOLECULAR BASIS OF T CELL ANTIGEN RECOGNITION AND ACTIVATION 136
CHAPTER 8 T CELL MATURATION IN THE THYMUS 166
CHAPTER 9 B CELL ACTIVATION AND ANTIBODY PRODUCTION 187
CHAPTER 10 REGULATION OF IMMUNE RESPONSES 205
CHAPTER 11 FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY OF LOCAL AND SYSTEMIC IMMUNE RESPONSES 222
SECTION III EFFECTOR MECHANISMS OF IMMUNE RESPONSES 237
CHAPTER 12 CYTOKINES 239
CHAPTER 13 EFFECTOR MECHANISMS OF T CELL-MEDIATED IMMUNE REACTIONS 261
CHAPTER 14 EFFECTOR MECHANISMS OF IMMUNOGLOBULIN E-INITIATED IMMUNE REACTIONS 278
CHAPTER 15 THE COMPLEMENT SYSTEM 293
SECTION IV IMMUNITY IN DEFENSE AND DISEASE 317
CHAPTER 16 IMMUNITY TO MICROBES 319
CHAPTER 17 IMMUNE RESPONSES TO TISSUE TRANSPLANTS 337
CHAPTER 18 IMMUNITY TO TUMORS 356
CHAPTER 19 SELF-TOLERANCE AND AUTOIMMUNITY 376
CHAPTER 20 IMMUNE-MEDIATED TISSUE INJURY AND DISEASE 393
CHAPTER 21 CONGENITAL AND ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCIES 409
APPENDIX PRINCIPAL FEATURES OF KNOWN CD MOLECULES 431
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews