- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This one-of-a-kind text bridges the gap between basic biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, and organ and systems physiology—providing rich, clinically oriented coverage of the subject. It presents information in an intuitive, user-friendly fashion, continually emphasizing how cell biology concepts apply to physiological processes.
• Uses discussions of molecular mechanisms to lay a foundation for understanding therapeutic interventions.
• Provides frequent examples from systems physiology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology to underscore the clinical implications of the material.
• Includes discussions of recently discovered molecular mechanisms to offer an up-to-date grasp of the field.
• Offers comprehensive discussions of transport processes—which are integral to all physiological processes, yet are neglected in many other cell biology texts.
• Sets mathematical derivations apart in special boxes, so they do not interrupt the flow of the text but are available for reading if desired.
• Features an extensive appendix that includes multiple-choice review questions with answers, a review of mathematical techniques, and a summary of basic circuit theory.
Section I: Fundamental Physico-chemical Concepts
1. Functional Architecture of Biological Membranes
2. Diffusion and Permeability
3. Osmosis and Water Movement
4. Electrical Consequences of Ionic Gradients
Section II: Ion Channels and Excitable Membranes
5. Ion Channels
6. Passive Electronic Properties of Membranes
7. Generation and Propagation of the Action Potential
8. Ion Channel Diversity
Section III: Solute Transport
9. Electrochemical Potential Drives All Transport Processes
10. Passive Solute Transport
11. Active Transport and the Coupling of Transport Processes
Section IV: Molecular Motors and Muscle Contraction
12. Molecular Motors and the Mechanisms of Contraction
13. Excitation-Contraction Coupling in Skeletal Muscle
14. Mechanics and Energetics of Skeletal Muscle Contraction
Appendix A. List of Abbreviations and Symbols
Appendix B. Review of Basic Mathematical Techniques
Appendix C. Summary of Elementary Circuit Theory
Appendix D. Derivation of the average position (mean displacement) and the root-mean-squared displacement of diffusing molecules
Appendix E. Answers to Self Study Problems
Appendix F. Comprehensive Multiple Choice Examination/Answers to Multiple Choice Examination