- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This book provides an integrated review of current research on neural plasticity and reorganization after early cerebral insults. Addressing both animal studies and a variety of diverse clinical populations, including children with congenital brain malformations, focal lesions, autism, and pervasive developmental disorders, this book summarizes many of the major advances on neural plasticity made in these areas over the past several years. Characterized by a broad historical perspective including contributions from some of the earliest researchers on environmental factors and brain organization, the book advances the reader form the laboratory to application in several human populations. Many of the components of the book explicitly address relationships of animal and human models, showing that the laboratory and the clinic are overlapping settings, not isolated chambers as they are often perceived. The understanding of neural plasticity and both biological and environmental factors that influence brain reorganization after early cerebral insult has major implications for treatment. The book outlines many of the potential applications for treatment of early brain disorders. The contributors include basic neuroscientists, cognitive neuroscientists, and clinician-researchers who work together to bridge gaps among disciplines. The book should facilitate collaborative research and applications in the critical areas of neural plasticity and brain reorganization. Advancement of knowledge of factors that prevent and enhance brain reorganization after early cerebral insult is a key to unraveling the mysteries of the developmental disorders characteristic of children and which influence their development through adulthood.
"...an integrated review of current research on neural plasticity and reorganization after early cerebral insults ...outlines many potential applications for treatment of early brain disorders."
Part I SHAPING THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
1. Wiring the Brain: Activity Dependent and Activity Independent Development of Synaptic Circuits, Philip G. Nelson, Roger Davenport
2. Effects of Differential Experience on Brain and Cognition Throughout the Life Span, Mark R. Rosenzweig
3. Experience and Plasticity in Brain Structure: Possible Implications of Basic Research Finding For Developmental Disorders, William T. Greenough, James E. Black, Anna Klintsova, Kathy E. Bates, Ivan Jeanne Weiler
Part II MECHANISMS OF REORGANIZATION
4. Structural Changes Underlying Long-Term Memory, Craig H. Bailey
5. The Role of Intrinsic Circuitry in Motor Cortex Plasticity, Asaf Keller
6. Immature Visual Cortex Lesions: Global Rewiring, Neural Adaptations, and Behavioral Sparing, Bertram R. Payne
Part III NEURODEVELOPMENTAL COURSE OF EARLY BRAIN DISORDERS
7. The Role of the Corpus Callosum in the Cognitive Development of Children with Congenital Brain Malformations, H. Julia Hannay, Jack M. Fletcher, Michael E. Brandt
8. Functional Consequences of Congenital Cerebellar Dysmorphologies and Acquired Cerebellar Lesions of Childhood, Maureen Dennis, C. Ross Hetherington, Brenda J. Spiegler, Marcia A. Barnes
9. Recovery from Acquired Reading and Naming Deficits Following Focal Cerebral Resection, Barry Gordon, Dana Boatman, Ronald P. Lesser, John Hart, Jr.
10. Plasticity, Localization and Language Development, Elizabeth Bates
11. Neuroplasticity: Evidence from Unilateral Brain Lesions in Children, Dorothy M. Aram
12. Continuity and Change in the Development of Children with Autism, Marian Sigman and Norman Kim
13. Biological and Behavioral Heterogeneity in Autism: Role of Pleiotropy an Epigenesis, Eric Courchesne, Rachel Yeung Courchesne, Karen Pierce
Part IV INTERVENTIONS
14. Issues in Developing Effective Interventions, Susan J. Landry
15. Pervasive Developmental Disorders: Listening Training and Language Abilities, Michael M. Merzenich, Gabrielle Saunders, William M. Jenkins, Steven Miller, Bret Peterson, Paula Tallal
Part V CONCLUSIONS
16. Development, Learning, and Neuroplasticity: Where We Are Now, Bennett A. Shaywitz