- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
"The authoritative book on the U.S. health care system. Any student, scholar, executive, or policymaker who wants to understand a particular phenomenon should consult it."
--Deborah A. Freund, vice chancellor and provost, professor of public administration, Syracuse University
"Under one cover can be found the basic data and research relevant to virtually all important health policy issues, as well sophisticated analytic material on current problems and their range of possible solutions."
--Steven A. Schroeder, M.D., president and CEO, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Figures and Tables.
Foreword (Abdelmonem A. Afifi, Linda Rosenstock).
Introduction and Overview (Ronald M. Andersen, Thomas H. Rice, Gerald F. Kominski).
PART ONE: ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE.
1. Improving Access to Care in America: Individual and Contextual Indicators (Ronald M. Andersen, Pamela L. Davidson).
2. Ethnic Disparities in Health Status (Antronette K. Yancey, Roshan Bastani, Beth A. Glenn).
3. Disparities in Health Care (Leo S. Morales, Alexander N. Ortega).
4. Public Policies to Extend Health Care Coverage (E. Richard Brown, with Shana Alex Lavarreda).
PART TWO: COSTS OF HEALTH CARE.
5. Measuring Health Care Costs and Trends (Thomas H. Rice).
6. Containing Health Care Costs (Thomas H. Rice, Gerald F. Kominski).
7. Controlling Pharmaceutical Prices and Expenditures (Stuart O. Schweitzer, William S. Comanor).
PART THREE: QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE.
8. Measuring Outcomes and Health-Related Quality of Life (Patricia A. Ganz, Mark S. Litwin, Ron D. Hays, Robert M. Kaplan).
9. Evaluating the Quality of Care (Elizabeth A. McGlynn).
10. Public Release of Information on Quality (Elizabeth A. McGlynn, John L. Adams).
11. Health Care Information Systems (Jeff Luck, Paul Fu Jr.).
12. Performance Measurement of Nursing Care (Jack Needleman, Ellen T. Kurtzman, Kenneth W. Kizer).
PART FOUR: SPECIAL POPULATIONS.
13. Long-Term Care and the Elderly Population (Steven P. Wallace, Emily K. Abel, Nadereh Pourat, Linda Delp).
14. AIDS in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges for Health Services and Public Health (David S. Zingmond, William E. Cunningham).
15. Health Reform for Children and Families (Moira Inkelas, Neal Halfon, David Lee Wood, Mark A. Schuster).
16. Mental Health Services and Policy Issues (Susan L. Ettner, Janet C. Link).
17. Women’s Health: Key Issues in Access to Health Insurance Coverage and to Services Among Nonelderly Women (Roberta Wyn, Beatriz M. Solís).
18. Homeless Persons (Lisa Arangua, Lillian Gelberg).
PART FIVE: DIRECTIONS FOR CHANGE.
19. Managed Care and the Growth of Competition (Gerald F. Kominski, Glenn A. Melnick).
20. Medicare Reform (Gerald F. Kominski, Jeanne T. Black, Thomas H. Rice).
21. Public Health and Personal Health Services (Lester Breslow, Jonathan E. Fielding).
22. The Continuing Issue of Medical Malpractice Liability (Ruth Roemer).
23. Ethical Issues in Public Health and Health Services (Pauline Vaillancourt Rosenau, Ruth Roemer).