Changing The U.S. Health Care System: Key Issues in Health Services, Policy, and Management / Edition 1by Ronald M. Andersen, Thomas H. Rice, Gerald F. Kominski
Pub. Date: 01/28/1996
Changing the U.S. Health Care System offers new insights into the composition and workings of the nation's health care system. This comprehensive review covers the full spectrum of health care services, identifying up-to-the-minute trAnds and analyzing options for future policymaking in the wake of diminishing public confidence in past health reform initiatives.The
Changing the U.S. Health Care System offers new insights into the composition and workings of the nation's health care system. This comprehensive review covers the full spectrum of health care services, identifying up-to-the-minute trAnds and analyzing options for future policymaking in the wake of diminishing public confidence in past health reform initiatives.The authorsall recognized as top researchers in the fielddraw on their own investigations to address timely topics such as AIDS, women's health, long-term care, and prevention. In addition, they examine important issues including ethics, cost, quality, and access, and tackle controversial subjects such as malpractice, and regulated versus competitive systems. Provides thoughtful reading for anyone concerned with the future of the United States health care system.
Table of Contents
Part One: Access to Health Care.
1. Measuring Access and TrAnds (Ronald M. Anderson, Pamela L. Davidson).
2. Public Policies to Extend Health Care Coverage (E. Richard Brown, Robert Wyn).
Part Two: Costs of Health Care.
3. Measuring Health Care Costs and Trends (Thomas H. Rice).
4. Containing Health Care Costs (Thomas H. Rice).
5. The Cost of Pharmaceuticals (Stuart O. Schweitzer, William S. Comanor).
Part Three: Quality of Care.
6. Measuring Outcomes and Health-Related Quality of Life (Patricia A. Ganz, Mark S. Litwin).
7. Ensuring Quality of Care (Robert H. Brook, Beth McGlynn).
Part Four: Special Populations.
8. Long Term Care and the Elderly (Steven P. Wallace, Emily K. Abel, Pamela Stefanowitz).
9. AIDS in Transition: Challenges for Health Services and Public Health (William E. Cunningham, Christy Beaudin, Christopher Panarites).
10. Health Care Reform for Children and Families: Refinancing and Restructuring the U.S. Child Health System (Neal Halfon, David Wood, Moira Inkelas, Mark Schuster).
11. Women's Health: Key Issues in Access to Insurance Coverage and to Services Among Non-Elderly Women (Roberta Wyn, E. Richard Brown).
12. Homeless Persons (Lillian Gelberg).
Part Five: Directions for Change.
13. Hospital Price Competition and the Growth of Managed Care (Glenn A. Melnick).
14. Regulatory Approaches (Gerald F. Kominski, Glenn A. Melnick).
15. Lessons from Other Countries (Milton I. Roemer).
16. The Role of Prevention (Charles E. Lewis).
17. Public Health and Personal Health Services (Lester Breslow, Jonathan Fielding).
18. The Continuing Issue of Medical Malpractice Liability (Ruth J. Roemer).
19. Ethical Issues in Public Health and Health Services (Pauline V. Rosenau, Ruth J. Roemer).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >