Chestnut's Obstetric Anesthesia: Principles and Practice: Expert Consult - Online and Print / Edition 4by David H. Chestnut
Pub. Date: 04/29/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
The updated fourth edition of this comprehensive, highly respected reference covers all you need to know about obstetric anesthesia—from basic science to various anesthesia techniques to complications. The editorial team of leading authorities in the field now features Drs. Linda S. Polley, Lawrence C. Tsen, and Cynthia A. Wong and presents the latest on anesthesia techniques for labor and delivery and medical disorders that occur during pregnancy. This edition features two new chapters and rewritten versions of key chapters such as Epidural and Spinal Analgesia and Anesthesia. And, Expert Consult functionality allows you to access the entire contents of the book online.
- Emphasizes the treatment of the fetus and the mother as separate patients with distinct needs to ensure the application of modern principles of care.
- Delivers contributions from many leaders in the fields of obstetric anesthesia and maternal-fetal medicine from all over the world.
- Offers abundant figures, tables, and boxes that illustrate the step-by-step management of a full range of clinical scenarios.
- Presents key point summaries in each chapter for quick, convenient reference.
- Features new chapters on Patient Safety and Maternal Mortality to address the latest developments in the field and keep you current.
- Presents completely rewritten chapters on Epidural and Spinal Analgesia and Anesthesia, Anesthesia for Cesarean Section, and Hypertension Disorders, updated by new members of the editorial team—Drs. Linda S. Polley, Lawrence C. Tsen, and Cynthia A. Wong, for state-of-the-art coverage of key topics and new insights.
- Covers all the latest guidelines and protocols for safe and effective practice so you can offer your patients the very best.
- Allows you to access the entire contents of the book online, from any internet connection through Expert Consult.
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. If the next edition is published less than one year after your purchase, you will be entitled to online access for one year from your date of purchase. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should online access to the web site be discontinued.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.80(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.80(d)
Table of Contents
|1||The History of Obstetric Anesthesia||3|
|Part II||Maternal and Fetal Physiology|
|2||Physiologic Changes of Pregnancy||15|
|3||Uteroplacental Blood Flow||37|
|4||The Placenta: Anatomy, Physiology, and Transfer of Drugs||49|
|Part III||Fetal and Neonatal Assessment and Therapy|
|6||Antepartum Fetal Assessment and Therapy||79|
|7||Anesthesia for Fetal Surgery and Other Intrauterine Procedures||96|
|8||Intrapartum Fetal Assessment and Therapy||110|
|9||Neonatal Assessment and Resuscitation||122|
|10||Fetal and Neonatal Neurologic Injury||148|
|Part IV||Foundations in Obstetric Anesthesia|
|11||Spinal, Epidural, and Caudal Anesthesia: Anatomy, Physiology, and Technique||171|
|Part V||Anesthesia Before and During Pregnancy|
|13||Nonanesthetic Drugs During Pregnancy and Lactation||213|
|14||In Vitro Fertilization and Other Assisted Reproductive Techniques||229|
|15||Problems of Early Pregnancy||241|
|16||Nonobstetric Surgery During Pregnancy||255|
|Part VI||Labor and Vaginal Delivery|
|17||Obstetric Management of Labor and Vaginal Delivery||275|
|18||The Pain of Childbirth and Its Effect on the Mother and the Fetus||288|
|19||Childbirth Preparation and Nonpharmacologic Analgesia||302|
|20||Systemic Analgesia: Parenteral and Inhalational Agents||311|
|21||Epidural and Spinal Analgesia/Anesthesia||324|
|I.||Local Anesthetic Techniques||324|
|III.||Effect on the Progress of Labor and Method of Delivery||369|
|22||Alternative Regional Anesthetic Techniques: Paracervical Block, Lumbar Sympathetic Block, Pudendal Nerve Block, and Perineal Infiltration||387|
|23||Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Section||397|
|24||Postpartum Tubal Sterilization||407|
|Part VII||Cesarean Section|
|25||Anesthesia for Cesarean Section||421|
|26||Anesthesia for Fetal Distress||447|
|27||Postoperative Analgesia: Systemic Techniques||461|
|28||Postoperative Analgesia: Epidural and Spinal Techniques||472|
|Part VIII||Anesthetic Complications|
|29||Medicolegal Issues in Obstetric Anesthesia||507|
|30||Aspiration: Risk, Prophylaxis, and Treatment||523|
|31||The Difficult Airway: Risk, Prophylaxis, and Management||535|
|33||Neurologic Complications of Pregnancy and Regional Anesthesia||579|
|Part IX||Obstetric Complications|
|34||Preterm Labor and Delivery||605|
|35||Abnormal Presentation and Multiple Gestation||632|
|36||Fever and Infection||647|
|37||Antepartum and Postpartum Hemorrhage||662|
|Part X||The Parturient with Systemic Disease|
|42||Hematologic and Coagulation Disorders||764|
|43||Human Immunodeficiency Virus||780|
|48||Neurologic and Neuromuscular Disease||872|
|Appendix A||American Society of Anesthesiologists Guidelines for Regional Anesthesia in Obstetrics||951|
|Appendix B||Practice Guidelines for Obstetrical Anesthesia: A Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Obstetrical Anesthesia||953|
|Appendix C||American Society of Anesthesiologists Optimal Goals for Anesthesia Care in Obstetrics||959|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >