Chicano School Failure And Success / Edition 2by Richard R. Valencia
This new edition of the best-selling Chicano School Failure and Success, has been updated and expanded to provide state-of-the-art coverage of the Chicano school experience. The contributors include experts in the fields of anthropology, psychology, educational history and policy, special education, and child and family studies, reflecting the wide and/b>… See more details below
This new edition of the best-selling Chicano School Failure and Success, has been updated and expanded to provide state-of-the-art coverage of the Chicano school experience. The contributors include experts in the fields of anthropology, psychology, educational history and policy, special education, and child and family studies, reflecting the wide and complex range of issues affecting Chicano school students. The book is in five parts:
Part I: A comprehensive review of schooling conditions and outcomes; the implications of a rapidly growing Chicano population; segregation, desegregation and integration; issues arising from the high dropout rate of Chicano students.
Part II: Language, public policy and schooling issues for English language learners; the effectiveness of bilingual education in the US.
Part III: Chicano/Latino ethnography of education; the relationship between Chicano families and schools.
Part IV: Select testing issues that impact on Chicano students; the role of special education in the history of Chicano schooling.
Part V: Analysis of the factors contributing to the success or failure of Chicano education; a synthesis of ideas to help promote success.
This is a timely new edition that will be of great interest to academics, researchers and students in the areas of education, sociology and anthropology.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 1.00(w) x 10.00(h) x 7.00(d)
Table of ContentsPart I: Current Realities of the Chicano Schooling Experience
1. The Plight of Chicano Students: An Overview of Schooling Conditions and Outcomes Richard R. Valencia
2. The Explosive Growth of the Chicano/Latino Population: Educational Implications Richard R. Valencia
3. Segregation, Desegregation, and Integration of Chicano Students: Old and New Realities Richard R. Valencia, Martha Menchaca; and Ruben Donato
4. Chicano Dropouts: An Update of Research and Policy Issues Russell W. Rumberger and Gloria M. Rodriguez
Part II: Language Perspectives on Chicano Student Achievement
5. Language, Public Policy, and Schooling: A Focus on Chicano English Language Learners Eugene E. Garcia and Ann-Marie Wiese
6. Research in Bilingual Education: Moving Beyond the Effectiveness Debate Michael D. Guerrero
Part III: Cultural and Familial Perspectives on Chicano Student Achievement
7. Chicano/Latino Critical Ethnography of Education: Cultural Productions from La Frontera Sofia Villenas and Douglas E. Foley
8. Chicano Families and Schools: Myths, Knowledge, and Future Directions for Understanding Robert P. Moreno and Richard R. Valencia
Part IV: Educational Testing and Special Education Issues Germane to Chicano Students
9. Educational Testing and Chicano Students: Issues, Consequences, and Prospects for Reform Richard R. Valencia, Bruno J. Villarreal, and Moises F. Salinas
10. An Analysis of Special Education as a Response to the Diminished Academic Achievement of Chicano/Latino Students: An Update Robert Rueda, Alfredo J. Artiles, Jesus Salazar, and Ignacio Higareda
Part V: The Big Picture and Chicano School Failure and Success
11. The Big Picture: Systemic and Institutional Factors in Chicano School Failure and Success Arthur Pearl
12. Conclusions: Towards Chicano School Success Richard R. Valencia
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >