Children's Literature: Discovery for a Lifetime - With CD / Edition 4by Barbara D. Stoodt-Hill, Linda B. Amspaugh-Corson
Pub. Date: 06/28/2008
Children's Literature: Discovery for a Lifetime Value Package (includes Database of Children's Literature), 4/e is an indispensable tool that teachers, librarians, and parents can use to create and foster children’s interest in books. The authors concisely illuminate the highest quality of children’s literature, choosing titles that will captivate children and promote a lifetime of reading.
The fourth edition of this popular text now features:
- NEW! Classroom snapshots that provide concrete examples of teachers promoting cognitive development with literature.
- NEW! Emphasis on graphic novels and manga across several chapters.
- NEW! A chapter dedicated to exploring sensitive and contemporary issues in children’s literature.
Readers will also be able to:
- Explore wide-ranging examples of current and classic literature in all genres–picture books, poetry, traditional literature, modern fantasy, realistic fiction, historical fiction, and nonfiction books–to understand, select and evaluate children’s literature.
- Review extensive lists of literature references and recommended children’s books by descriptors, genre designations, grade levels, publisher, and copyright information.
- Stimulate reading and an exploration of children’s literature withpractical Classroom Activities that arealigned with the IRA and NCTE standards.
- Focus on multicultural literature, illustrating the need to choose books that reflect the voices of many cultural groups and that foster an understanding, appreciation, and respect for our diverse society.
- Engage children in author and illustrator studies with great models described in Biographical Profiles.
- Learn how to develop children’s social and cultural consciousness by exploring literature-based units that cut across cultures in the Unit Studies chapter.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.90(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Children's Literature
2. Understanding Literature
3. Issues Relating to Literature for Children and Young Adults
4. Picture Books: Visual and Verbal Art
5. Poetry for Every Child
6. Traditional Literature: Stories Old and New
7. Modern Fantasy: Today's Magic
8. People Now: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
9. People Then: Historical Fiction
10. Truth is Stranger than Fiction: Nonficiton
11. Biography: Fascinating Real Life
12. Literature about Children with Real-Life Challenges
13. Literature about Children in Many Cultures
14. Oral and Silent Literature
15. Engaging with and Responding to Children's Literature
16. Unit Studies: Learning with Literature
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >