From the Publisher
Men are luckier than women when it comes to weight loss. For one thing, men tend to store most of their fat in their midsections, and abdominal fat is much easier to lose than fat stored in the thighs or buttocks. For another, men have more muscle mass, which means a higher metabolic rate, and thus more calories burned throughout the day.
So why aren't all men thin? Because of the fat they eat, say Drs. Ron and Nancy Goor. And the lack of exercise. And the fact they don't eat enough fiber-rich carbohydrates.
In fact, the Goors are the polar opposites of those who tell people they've gained weight because of the way their bodies react to sugar and other carbohydrates. They say it's actually very difficult for your body to convert carbohydrates into fat, but that the fat you eat is easily turned into the fat you wear. (The Goors include a section debunking all the claims of the high-fat, high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet gurus.)
Thus, the cornerstone of their program is a "fat budget." You figure out your ideal weight and calculate how many fat calories you can afford to eat at that weight. Then you add in daily aerobic exercisethey recommend 30-minute walksand make sure you never skip a meal. In fact, the meals they recommend are hugecereal, fruit, yogurt, toast, and orange juice for breakfast; two turkey sandwiches for lunch; soup, chicken, rice, and vegetables for dinner. All that, plus snacks.
Food tables make up about half the book, telling you how many fat calories are in fast foods, restaurant meals, meats, fish, and just about anything else a person would eat.
Blessedly, the Choose to Lose program is scientifically soundvirtually all weight-loss research points to the diet-and-exercise combo as the key to successfully dropping pounds and keeping them droppedbut ultimately puts a premium on discipline. Starvation isn't required, but keeping your fat intake down around 20 percent of total calories in a fat-saturated world is a heck of a trick to maintain for life.Lou Schuler Amazon.com
Read an Excerpt
1. You Are a Lucky Man
CONGRATULATIONS! You have taken the first step to becoming a lean and healthy man. Whether you have been inspired by your soaring cholesterol level, an inability to keep your buttons from popping off, energy and stamina approaching the level of a limp rag, a sense you could definitely feel better than you do, or you are just fed up with being overweight, you have made an important decision that will totally change and improve your life. The Lean You is just under the surface waiting to break out. With little effort, you can become the healthy, fit, active man you want to be. You are a lucky man.
Being a Man: The Upside You are lucky because you are a man. Men have a tremendous advantage in fighting the battle of the bulge. Men (even fat men) are endowed with substantial muscle mass. Muscle is the tissue that burns fat. So it follows that most men can lose fat quickly. In addition, since most men have not been dieting since birth, they don't have the diet-related hangups that many women have. Many men do not even realize how overweight they are. Men who want to lose their beer belly or love handles have nature on their side.
Being a Man: The Downside Being a man may make losing weight easier, but men who eat a high-fat, high-saturated-fat diet clog their coronary arteries faster than women do. In fact, simply being a male is a risk factor for heart disease. Men who persist in following an unhealthy lifestyle are more likely to suffer strokes or colon cancer than women. So take advantage of the upside of being a male to ensure that you never suffer the downside. You can easily reduce your risks and increase your chances for a long and healthy life. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men will show you how.
STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS You can capitalize on your fat-burning muscle mass to eat your way to a lean and healthy body. You can eat regular foods that you choose - you don't have to limit your diet to rabbit food. (In fact, salads are often a bad weight-loss choice.) You can eat satisfying portions so you're never hungry. You won't even have to spend half your day in a gym running around the track or lifting weights. You will be in control of your food choices, your weight, and your health. You just have to do three things: 1. Eat a low-fat diet (with an occasional high- fat splurge).
2. Eat plenty of nutritious food.
3. Exercise aerobically about 30 minutes a day (walking is great).
1. Eat a Low-Fat Diet Let's start with Strategy #1: Eat a low-fat diet. Extensive scientific research and the experience of thousands of Choosers to Lose have shown that FAT makes you fat. The less fat you put into your body's fat stores, the less fat you will have to remove later.
But how much fat are you eating? One of the reasons you are heavier than you want to be is that you are probably eating more fat than you realize. How do you know how much fat you should eat or how much fat is in foods?
Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men gives you a simple tool: a Fat Budget. This budget - the maximum amount of fat you can eat each day and still reach and maintain your desirable weight - is like your salary. Imagine how difficult it would be to make financial choices if you didn't know your salary. How would you know what kind of car to buy or what kind of vacation to take? Could you afford a Lexus or a Taurus, a trip to the beach or a cruise around the world? Your salary is one of the most powerful behavior modification tools in your life.
Like your salary, your Fat Budget empowers you to make choices - food choices. When you know your Fat Budget and the number of fat calories in foods,* you can decide which combination of foods you can afford to eat. No food is prohibited; no food is required.
Here's how the Fat Budget works. Say you are at the office Christmas party. Your Fat Budget is 400 fat calories a day. Instead of chug-a-lugging 3 cups of eggnog (510 fat calories) and causing a significant overdraft in your Fat Budget, you will ask, "Are 3 cups of eggnog worth 510 fat calories?" Why not spend 0 fat calories for wine or beer instead? It's your Fat Budget and your choice.
The Fat Budget even allows for splurges. Maybe 1 cup of eggnog is worth 170 fat calories to you. Budget it in. You don't have to give up everything. You just learn to make better choices. Eventually, your tastes may even change. Many men following Choose to Lose have told us that they can no longer stomach the high-fat, greasy foods they once ate with gusto. This may happen to you too.
Maximizing Fat Loss. Eating less fat is essential ffor weight loss, but you can't stop there. To shrink the fat stores, you must not only add less fat to them; you need to remove the fat that is already there. The next two strategies are aimed at removvvvving the stored fat.
2. Eat Plenty of Nutrient-Dense, Fiber-Rich Carbohydrates Strategy #2 is to eat low-fat, nutritious food to lose weight. You need to eat enough calories to keep your metabolism chugging along so you will burn fat at a maximum rate and thus help reduce your fat stores. Of course, you can't eat just any food. Not high-fat foods that add to your fat stores. And not empty calories like fat-free cakes and nonfat crackers, which only slow down your weight loss because your body burns them in preference to fat. We mean fruits, vegetables, whole grains - high-fiber, nutrient-dense carbohydrates. These foods have a lot of bulk and fill you up without filling you out. They are chock-full of vitamins and minerals too, which ensures your good health now and in the future. Add low-fat meats like chicken, turkey, fish, seafood, and some lean cuts of red meats, and you'll have a full, delicious, healthy diet.
Not only will these foods rev up your metabolism, they will keep you full and satisfied so you won't build up high-fat cravings and fall off the healthy-eating wagon. They will keep your energy at an all-time high. It is the carbohydrates in foods that give you energy and stamina - the prerequisites to fulfilling the third strategy: daily aerobic exercise.
3. Exercise Aerobically Every Day The third strategy for losing weight (and getting healthier) is daily aerobic exercise. Daily aerobic exercise is vital because it increases your energy needs. To satisfy the increased demand, the body burns fat from the fat stores and you lose weight. In addition, exercise builds and preserves muscle. Muscle is the tissue that burns fat. The more muscle you have, the higher is your capacity to burn your stockpiled fat. Before you insist that you are much too busy to run 5 miles a day or work out 2 hours each morning, rest assured that the exercise we recommend is not time-consuming or punishing. All you have to do is walk. We recommend walking for at least 30 minutes a day - the more, the better. The longer you exercise nonstop over 20 minutes, the more fat you burn and the leaner you'll become. It need not be intense. In fact, you should be able to carry on a normal conversation without becoming breathless. Of course, if you want to do something more vigorous, like bicycling or rowing, that's fine. Strength training and stretching are not aerobic but will also add enormously to your fitness and quality of life. (See Chapter 13 for more on exercise.) Choose to Lose for Life You are going to be making major lifestyle changes, but it won't be difficult. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is easy to follow and incorporate into your life - forever. The most common comment we hear from men following Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is, "Why didn't I start doing this years ago?" Patience You probably noticed that the word patience is at the center of the success triangle. Being a man and having a lot of muscle gives you an added advantage in losing weight (fat), but don't think that by next week you'll be mistaken for a skeleton. It takes time for all that excess fat to be pulled out of your body's fat stores and burned. Think about how long it took to pack your fat stores. You will lose weight - some Choosers to Lose have lost more than 165 pounds - and reach your goal, but don't expect to lose weight on a strict timetable.* In fact, the best policy is to focus on how much delicious low-fat food you are eating, how good you feel, how healthy you are becoming, and not on pounds at all. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is about so much more than weight loss.
The Benefits Are Great, or Good-bye, Heartburn Here are some of the benefits you can expect to achieve following Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men: Reduced risks of heart disease, cancer, diabetes - you'll be so healthy your doctor will ask you for advice.
Increased energy and endurance - you'll have to find younger friends to keep up with the New You.
A more attractive you - you'll look in the mirror and like what you see.
No more heartburn - throw away your lifetime supply of antacids.
Increased self-esteem - you'll be in control and it will show.
Improved sex life - you'll have more vigor and stamina, and you won't crush your partner.
Now that you are ready to embark on Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men and eat more good food than you have ever imagined, lose weight, and be in control of your life, read the next chapter to understand the scientific basis of the plan. The science makes sense. Understanding how and why the three Choose to Lose strategies work is a great motivator.
Turn Your Vicious Cycle Into a Virtuous Cycle The Vicious Cycle goes like this: You eat too much fat so you become overweight. Because you are overweight, you find it difficult to exercise and you don't make the effort. Because you aren't exercising, you lose muscle. With less muscle, you burn less fat and become fatter. You feel bad because you are fat, so you eat more fat and become even fatter.
This is the Virtuous Cycle, or Choose to Lose in Action: You eat a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet, so you have lots of energy. You have lots of energy, so you find it easy to exercise. Exercising makes you feel better, so you eat healthfully. Because you are eating healthfully and exercising, you lose weight, which makes you feel better about yourself, so you continue to eat healthfully and exercise and lose weight.
Sex A friend confided to us that the reason he started following Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men was because of his sex life. He huffed and puffed so much during sex he thought he would have a heart attack. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men turned his problem around. He lost weight, gained energy, and could enjoy sex again (so did his wife).
Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is great in every area. It will improve your stamina, your outlook, your love of life!
* The Food Tables at the end of the book list fat calories for over 6000 foods.
* See Chapter 16 on "The Scale" (page 170) and "Weight-Loss Rate" (page 166) and Chapter 17 on measuring success (page 180).
Copyright (c) 2000 by Ronald S. Goor and Nancy M. Goor. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Company.