Christian Spirituality / Edition 1by Alister E. McGrath
This text fills the need for a clear, informative, helpful and well-written introduction to Christian spirituality. It introduces this area of Christian theology as a serious and exciting field of study to those encountering it for the first time. It builds on the huge success of earlier texts in the area of Christian thought and practice by the same author, and is… See more details below
This text fills the need for a clear, informative, helpful and well-written introduction to Christian spirituality. It introduces this area of Christian theology as a serious and exciting field of study to those encountering it for the first time. It builds on the huge success of earlier texts in the area of Christian thought and practice by the same author, and is based on seven years' experience of teaching its themes.
Written in a clear and accessible manner, and tested in the classroom, this text:
- Adopts the highly-praised educational approach embodied in other bestselling texts by the same author.
- Avoids a purely historical approach to the subject which students might find unrewarding. Encourages active engagement with primary sources through worked case studies.
- Includes a major analysis of the relationship between theology and spirituality, focusing on five major themes.
- Offers complete coverage of the Christian spiritual tradition, including Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Protestantism and Evangelicalism.
- Includes a guide to resources in spirituality available on the Internet.
- Can be used for private study or taught courses.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.80(w) x 9.75(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents
How to Use this Book.
Part I: Introduction:.
1. Defining 'Spirituality'.
2. Defining 'Christian Spirituality'.
3. Clarifying Terms: Mysticism and Spirituality.
Part II: Types of Christian Spirituality: .
4. Spirituality, Theology and Personality.
5. Denominational Considerations.
6. Attitudes to the World, Culture and History.
Part III: Theological Foundations for Spirituality: Basic Issues: .
7. The Nature of Theology.
8. The Relation of Theology and Spirituality.
Part IV: Theological Foundations for Spirituality: Case Studies:.
9. Creation. Human Nature and Destiny.
10. The Trinity. Incarnation.
14. For Further Reading.
Part V: Biblical Images and Christian Spirituality:.
15. The Bible as a Resource for Spirituality.
16. Biblical Images and Spirituality.
Part VI: Faces, Places and Spaces: Visualization and Spatialization in Christian Spirituality:.
17. The Visualization of the Divine.
18. Telling the Story: Faith and Life.
19. The Rhythm of Faith: Structuring Time.
20. Spiritual Geography: Structuring Space.
Part VII: Christian Spirituality: Engaging the Tradition:.
21. Conclusion: Where Next?.
22. Christian Spirituality: Internet Resources.
Glossary of Terms.
Sources of Citations.
For Further Reading.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >