1. Prologue: Lay Questioning of the Medieval Church.
2. Lollard Revival and Conservative Reform.
3. The Henrician Reformation: Protestantism, Anti-Clericalism and the Royal Supremacy.
4. Protestant Advance and Popular Reaction.
5. Catholic Restoration and Protestant Resistance.
6. The Elizabethan Church: Settlement and Separation.
7. Protestant Consolidation.
8. The Laudian Ascendancy.
9. Implementing Lay Supremacy, 1640-1660.
10. Epilogue: The Achievement of Lay Power in the Church.
Bibliographical Appendix: Change and Continuity.