Cisco ASA, PIX, and FWSM Firewall Handbook / Edition 2by David Hucaby
Pub. Date: 08/23/2007
Publisher: Cisco Press
Cisco ASA, PIX, and FWSM Firewall Handbook, Second Edition, is a guide for the most commonly implemented features of the popular Cisco® firewall security solutions. Fully updated to cover the latest firewall releases, this book helps you to quickly and easily configure, integrate, and manage the entire suite of Cisco firewall products, including ASA, PIX®,… See more details below
Cisco ASA, PIX, and FWSM Firewall Handbook, Second Edition, is a guide for the most commonly implemented features of the popular Cisco® firewall security solutions. Fully updated to cover the latest firewall releases, this book helps you to quickly and easily configure, integrate, and manage the entire suite of Cisco firewall products, including ASA, PIX®, and the Catalyst® Firewall Services Module (FWSM).
Organized by families of features, this book helps you get up to speed quickly and efficiently on topics such as file management, building connectivity, controlling access, firewall management, increasing availability with failover, load balancing, logging, and verifying operation.
Sections are marked by shaded tabs for quick reference, and information on each feature is presented in a concise format, with background, configuration, and example components.
Whether you are looking for an introduction to the latest ASA, PIX, and FWSM devices or a complete reference for making the most out of your Cisco firewall deployments, Cisco ASA, PIX, and FWSM Firewall Handbook, Second Edition, helps you achieve maximum protection of your network resources.
“Many books on network security and firewalls settle for a discussion focused primarily on concepts and theory. This book, however, goes well beyond these topics. It covers in tremendous detail the information every network and security administrator needs to know when configuring and managing market-leading firewall products from Cisco.”
–Jason Nolet, Vice President of Engineering, Security Technology Group, Cisco
David Hucaby, CCIE® No. 4594, is a lead network engineer for the University of Kentucky, where he works with health-care networks based on the Cisco Catalyst, ASA, FWSM, and VPN product lines. He was one of the beta reviewers of the ASA 8.0 operating system software.
- Learn about the various firewall models, user interfaces, feature sets, and configuration methods
- Understand how a Cisco firewall inspects traffic
- Configure firewall interfaces, routing, IP addressing services, and IP multicast support
- Maintain security contexts and flash and configuration files, manage users, and monitor firewalls with SNMP
- Authenticate, authorize, and maintain accounting records for firewall users
- Control access through the firewall by implementing transparent and routed firewall modes, address translation, and traffic shunning
- Define security policies that identify and act on various types of traffic with the Modular Policy Framework
- Increase firewall availability with firewall failover operation
- Understand how firewall load balancing works
- Generate firewall activity logs and learn how to analyze the contents of the log
- Verify firewall operation and connectivity and observe data passing through a firewall
- Configure Security Services Modules, such as the Content Security Control (CSC) module and the Advanced Inspection Processor (AIP) module
This security book is part of the Cisco Press® Networking Technology Series. Security titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals secure critical data and resources, prevent and mitigate network attacks, and build end-to-end self-defending networks.
Category: Networking: Security
Covers: Cisco ASA 8.0, PIX 6.3, and FWSM 3.2 version firewalls
$60.00 USA / $69.00 CAN
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Firewall
Chapter 2 Configuration Fundamentals
Chapter 3 Building Connectivity
Chapter 4 Firewall Management
Chapter 5 Managing Firewall Users
Chapter 6 Controlling Access Through the Firewall
Chapter 7 Inspecting Traffic
Chapter 8 Increasing Firewall Availability with Failover
Chapter 9 Firewall Load Balancing
Chapter 10 Firewall
Chapter 11 Verifying Firewall Operation
Chapter 12 ASA Modules
Appendix A Well-Known Protocol and Port Numbers
Appendix B Security Appliance Logging Messages
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
This book is an intermediate to advanced level book on Cisco firewalls. This book covers detailed information on how to configure and manage the Cisco firewall products. Therefore this book would probably be more appropriate as reference manual. However, the screens and illustrations are helpful to a network and security administrator.