Wendell Odom, CCIE No. 1624, has been in the networking industry since 1981. He has worked as a network engineer, consultant, systems engineer, instructor, and course developer; he currently works writing and creating certification tools. He is author of all the previous books in the Cisco Press CCNA Official Certification Guide series, as well as the CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide, the QoS 642-642 Exam Certification Guide, coauthor of the CCIE Routing and Switch Official Certification Guide, and several other titles. He is also a consultant for the CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator from Pearson and for a forthcoming replacement version of that product. He maintains study tools, links to his blogs, and other resources at www.certskills.com.
Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide, Academic Editionby Wendell Odom
CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide, Academic Edition is a comprehensive textbook and study package for a beginner-level networking course. This book has been completely revised to align to Cisco's new CCENT 100-101 ICND1 exam. Material is presented in a concise manner, focusing on increasing student's retention and recall of exam topics. The book is printed in four color, allowing students to benefit from carefully crafted figures that utilize color to convey concepts. Students will organize their study through the use of the consistent features in these chapters, including:
• Foundation Topics — These sections make up the majority of the page count, explaining concepts, configurations, with emphasis on the theory and concepts, and with linking the theory to the meaning of the configuration commands.
• Key Topics — Inside the Foundation Topics sections, every figure, table, or list that should absolutely be understood and remembered for the exam is noted with the words “Key Topic” in the margin. This tool allows the reader to quickly review the most important details in each chapter.
• Chapter-ending Summaries — These bulleted lists provide a quick and concise review of the key topics covered in each chapter.
• Chapter-ending Review Questions — Each chapter provides a set of multiple choice questions that help student’s test their knowledge of the chapter concepts, including answers and full explanations.
• Chapter-ending Exercises — Each chapter concludes with a series of exercises designed to help students increase their retention of the chapter content including key term reviews, key topic tables, command review exercises, and memory table exercises.
• Part Reviews — This new edition includes a new part review feature that helps students consolidate their knowledge of concepts presented across multiple chapters. A new mind mapping exercise helps students build strong mental maps of concepts. A new exam bank of part review questions helps students test themselves with scenario-based questions that span multiple topics.
In addition to these powerful chapter learning, review, and practice features, this book also contains several other features that make it a truly effective and comprehensive study package, including:
• A Getting Started chapter at the beginning of the book offer terrific advice for how to use the book features and build an effective study plan.
• The DVD contains over 90 minutes of video mentoring from the author on challenging topics such as CLI navigation, router configuration, switch basics, VLANs, and subnetting.
• The book comes complete with the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Network Simulator Lite software, providing students with the opportunity to practice their hands-on command line interface skills with Cisco routers and switches. The 13 labs included for free with this product cover a range of IP addressing configuration and troubleshooting exercises.
• The Pearson IT Certification Practice Test software that comes with the book includes 4 full ICND1 exams and 4 full CCNA exams, providing tons of opportunities to assess and practice. Including the book review questions and part review questions, the exam bank includes more than 600 unique practice questions.
• This book also comes with a free version of the Premium Edition eBook, allowing students to access the digital copy in PDF, EPUB, or Kindle format on their computer or mobile device.
• A Final Preparation Chapter helps students review for final exams and prepare to take the official Cisco CCNA exams, if they want to achieve that certification.
• A Study Plan Template is included on the DVD to help students organize their study time.
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
One of the best study materials to fully understand computer networking and Cisco based technology products on the market today! The Cisco CCENT / CCNA – ICND1 – 100-101 – Academic Edition Official Cert Guide, by Wendell Odom is one of the most comprehensive guides to utilize whether you are studying in a Cisco based Academy environment, or just want to learn about computer networking terminology and how to apply the concepts in the real world. The ideal target audience for this edition would be a Cisco based academy student who would is studying to obtain CCENT / CCNA certification. An individual who is interested in understanding and possibly pursuing a career in computer based networking can also benefit from this material. The hardcover can also be utilized as a reference for individuals to “brush-up” on their networking terminology and concepts. The techniques recommended throughout the book not only help the reader memorize the information needed to successfully pass the CCNA ICND1 exam, but also help the candidate to understand the material thoroughly. Each chapter builds on the previous one to ensure that the reader understands the basics of network before progressing onto more demanding and challenging topics. The author has a wealth of information and tips to reinforce the concepts, such as mind mapping techniques, end of chapter summaries, practice questions, key terms, as well as volumes of information contained on the DVD included in the book. The DVD includes a copy of the e-book, practice exam questions, a lite version of the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 simulator, videos and a wealth of information to utilize throughout your networking career. I have been very fortunate to read and review many books that Mr. Odom has authored in the past. This is by far one of his best technology materials that he has written and is extremely well thought-out. This guide will help the CCENT / CCNA candidate to fully understand the computer networking terminology and the related concepts to ensure success in their career. I give this book 4 out 5 stars.
Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Cert guide Academic Edition Excellent resource for CCNA aspirants. I started reading this book just to see how the 7 layers of OSI model are explained but I could not stop reading it, I continued my reading after understanding the OSI layers. It was interesting to see how basics of networking have been explained and illustrated. How a host to host communication happens and how it can be compared with OSI model. Wendell Odom’s art of explaining basics of networking is awesome. This book has totally 9 parts including final review and appendixes. The flow of topics are somehow refined so well that the fundamentals and concepts that are needed for an entry level network engineer is precisely fulfilled. That is the reason why Cisco Certification is considered de-facto standard in the Data networking industry. This book also comes with a DVD containing lots of tools importantly the Network Simulator Lite with 13 free labs and video lecture by Mr. Wendell Odom. Let me explain little bit more about this book and its contents. This book covers the new ICND1 syllabus that was announced months ago. Though this book is aimed at academic audiences, the author’s main focus goes towards preparing candidates in passing certification exam. Don’t skip the introduction and getting started chapter. Chapter features under “About this Book” explain how each chapter is organized. I like the “Chapter summaries”, “review questions” and in some chapters “command reference table”. It is a perfect book for Cisco aspirants. To pass ICND1 exam one should master the IP addressing concepts, subnetting, VLSM and route summarization very well. More than 60 percent of the questions in ICND to my knowledge are based on IP addressing and subnetting related. The content itself has been changed several times by Cisco to refine and give a perfect way to master today’s TCP/IP network. I would say that this book has lot of emphasis on IP subnetting, VLSM and summarization. Also, this book has lots of tools and exercises to prepare you for those challenges. I have been training people in routing, switching and security; I know how difficult it is to make people understand the basics of networking. I always look for a book which adopts detail oriented approach in explaining any concept or technology. I rate this book as one of the best and always trust the content and approach will help me achieving my certification need. PROs: Comprehensive material for ICND1, clear print of text, diagrams, tables and device console screen shots Well thought explanation of networking technologies and concepts with self-explanatory figures, pictures and tables Lots of useful materials in DVD like Video, Simulator Lite, Mindmaps, practice test questions engine. Author’s tips and notes in each chapter in the form of “Key Topic” “Note” “reviews of key topics” etc. CONs: nothing to mention