Civic Engagement in Higher Education: Concepts and Practices / Edition 1by Barbara Jacoby and Associates
Pub. Date: 01/27/2009
Civic Engagement in Higher Education reveals what it takes to educate college students to be civically engaged citizens, scholars, and leaders. Recent studies have shown that college students' participation in community service is increasing while their involvement in civic and political issues and processes has significantly declined. As a result, higher education… See more details below
Civic Engagement in Higher Education reveals what it takes to educate college students to be civically engaged citizens, scholars, and leaders. Recent studies have shown that college students' participation in community service is increasing while their involvement in civic and political issues and processes has significantly declined. As a result, higher education experts and critics, government and business leaders, civil society, and the public are calling on colleges and universities to focus sharply on preparing students for democratic empowerment and global citizenship.
If civic engagement is to gain real traction in higher education, it must be clearly defined, and civic learning outcomes must be established. Opportunities to learn about and practice civic engagement must be embedded throughout the curriculum and the cocurriculum. This book shows how all this can be done, and is being done, at higher education institutions around the country.
Civic Engagement in Higher Education contains contributions from noted educators, researchers, and leaders who present a wide array of ideas, case examples, methods, and proven strategies for educating today's students to become tomorrow's responsible citizens. These experts cover topics including:
- Civic engagement in the first college year
- Engaging general education
- Interdisciplinary learning for civic engagement
- Capstone experiences and undergraduate research
- Enhancing intercultural competence and leadership through civic engagement
- Global civic engagement
This book is the essential guide for taking civic engagement in higher education to the next level and securing its future.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Thomas Ehrlich.
1. Civic Engagement in Today’s Higher Education: An Overview (Barbara Jacoby).
2. What We Know about Civic Engagement among College Students (Mark Hugo Lopez and Abby Kiesa).
3. Educating Students for Personal and Social Responsibility: The Civic Learning Spiral (Caryn McTighe Musil).
4. Civic Engagement in the First College Year (Mary Stuart Hunter and Blaire L. Moody).
5. Engaging General Education (Kim Spiezio).
6. The Influence of Integrative and Interdisciplinary Learning on Civic Engagement (Nance Lucas).
7. Capstone Experiences (Kevin Kecskes and Seanna Kerrigan).
8. Enhancing Intercultural Competence through Civic Engagement (Michelle R. Dunlap and Nicole Webster).
9. Leadership Education and the Revitalization of Public Life (Nicholas V. Longo and Marguerite S. Shaffer).
10. Moving from Service-Learning to Civic Engagement (Marshall Welch).
11. Community-Based Undergraduate Research: Collaborative Inquiry for the Public Good (Elizabeth L. Paul).
12. Global Civic Engagement (Barbara Jacoby and Nevin C. Brown).
13. Securing the Future of Civic Engagement in Higher Education (Barbara Jacoby and Elizabeth Hollander).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >