The Clinician's Handbook: Integrated Diagnostics, Assessment, and Intervention in Adult and Adolescent Psychopathology / Edition 5by Robert G. Meyer, Christopher M. Weaver
Pub. Date: 08/22/2006
Publisher: Waveland Press, Inc.
This extremely versatile handbook, written for students and practitioners, taps current treatment and assessment research to provide up-to-date coverage of emotional and behavioral disorders, major DSM-IV-TR diagnostic categories, MMPI-2 correlates and other test-response patterns, and treatment options. Diagnostic concepts and observations are linked with specific
This extremely versatile handbook, written for students and practitioners, taps current treatment and assessment research to provide up-to-date coverage of emotional and behavioral disorders, major DSM-IV-TR diagnostic categories, MMPI-2 correlates and other test-response patterns, and treatment options. Diagnostic concepts and observations are linked with specific assessment and test data for diagnostic categories; this is then integrated with recommended intervention procedures. In a single volume, the authors have synthesized an abundance of information and presented it in a manageable and accessible manner. Their extensive experience in clinical and forensic psychology-teaching, conducting research, interacting with clients, working in the criminal justice system- highly qualifies them to know and present the kind of practical information students and practitioners need. Additional outstanding features . . .
• emphasizes multimodal assessment and treatment
• includes extensive discussions of clinical challenges, such as suicidal clients, the criminal personality, deception, and malingering
• offers "bibliotherapy" reading assignments and appropriate relaxation techniques for various types of clients
• provides coverage of legal issues-competency, criminal responsibility, and civil commitment
• presents useful tips on case preparation and professional practice in the office and the courtroom
- Waveland Press, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
1. Overview and Introduction.
The Rationale for Inclusion of Certain Tests.
The Information Evolution in This Book.
2. Substance Abuse Disorders.
Alcohol Use Disorders.
Prescription Drug Abuse.
Amphetamine Use Disorder.
Opioid Use Disorder.
3. The Schizophrenic and Paranoid Disorders.
Residual Schizophrenic Disorder.
Brief Psychotic Disorder.
Psychotic Disorder NOS.
Psychotic Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition.
The Paranoid (Delusional) Disorders.
Shared Paranoid Disorder.
4. Mood (Affective) Disorders.
Major Depressive Episode.
Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Atypical Mood Disorders.
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
5. Anxiety Disorders.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Separation Anxiety Disorder.
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Adjustment Disorder.
Acute Stress Disorder.
Anxiety Disorder NOS.
6. Somatoform and Pain Disorders.
SomatizationDisorder and Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
Somatoform Disorder NOS.
7. Dissociative and Sleep Disorders.
Dissociative Identity Disorder (Formerly Multiple Personality).
8. The Sexual Disorders.
Gender Identity Disorder.
Male Psychosexual Dysfunction.
Female Psychosexual Dysfunction.
9. The Personality Disorders.
Paranoid Personality Disorder.
Schizoid Personality Disorder.
Schizotypal Personality Disorder.
Histrionic Personality Disorder.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
Antisocial Personality Disorder.
Borderline Personality Disorder.
Avoidant Personality Disorder.
Dependent Personality Disorder.
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.
Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder.
Sadistic Personality Disorder.
10. Impulse Control and Eating Disorders.
Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa.
11. Central Nervous System Impairment, Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and Retardation.
Central Nervous System Impairment.
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
12. Clinical Correlates of the MMPI-2.
Individual Scale Interpretations.
MMPI-2 Interrelationship Interpretations.
Diagnosis Code Type Relationships.
13. Clinical Correlates of the Cattell's 16 Personality Factors Test (16PF Test).
Cattell's 16PF Test.
16PF Scale Interrelationship Interpretations.
14. Aggression Potential, Rape, Child Abuse, and Suicide Potential.
The Prozac Controversies.
Central Nervous System Stimulants.
Medications for Control of Violent and Aggressive Behavior.
Drugs Used for Assessment.
Other Drugs Used in Psychiatry.
Legal Issues in the Use of Psychotropic Medications.
16. Malingering and the Factitious Disorders.
Ruling Out Hypochondriasis, Factitious Disorder, or Malingering.
17. Criminal Responsibility (Insanity), Civil Commitment, Competency, and the Criminal Personality.
Criminal Responsibility (Insanity).
The Criminal Personality.
Megargee's Ten Criminal Subtypes.
Predictors of Criminal Recidivism.
18. Professional Case Preparation and Presentation: For Office or Courtroom.
Professional Liability Suits.
Response to Public or Media Inquiries.
General Principles for Case Preparation.
A Model Report Format.
Expert Witness Case Preparation.
Deposition Preparation and Presentation.
Anticipating the Cross-Examination.
The Clinician's Role in Court.
Appendix A. Bibliotherapy Suggestions.
Appendix B. The Meyer Information Battery.
Appendix C. Two Relaxation Methods.
Appendix D. Relevant Legal Cases.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >