Abbreviations and Acronyms.
Part I: Refashioning Gender Relations.
1. Revisiting Gender in the 1990s.
2. Changing Gender Patterns in Education.
3. Challenging Victorian Values.
Part II: Social Policy and Education Reform.
4. Motherhood and Women's Work in the Welfare State.
5. Schooling, Teachers and Feminism.
6. Markets, Competition and Performance.
Part III: New Generations of Girls and Boys.
7. Schoolgirls and Social Change.
8. Schoolboys and Social Change.
9. Closing the Gender Gap in Education?.
Authors' Note on Further Reading.
References and Bibliography.