- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Memorable and thoroughly understandable science lessons, liberally sprinkled with humor, will fascinate beginning physics students as well as other readers in such chapters as "On a Clear Day You Can't See Forever," "Physics on a Manure Heap," "A Murder in Ceylon," and "Multiple Scattering at the Breakfast Table."
This exciting exploration of atmospheric physics contains 25 experiments that allow readers to observe and reproduce natural phenomena with simple materials.
1. Clouds in a Glass of Beer
2. "Genies in Jars, Clouds in Bottles, and a Bucket with a Hole in It"
3. "Happy Ducks, Like Happy People, Perform Best with Cool Heads"
4. Sugar and Spice: The Dirty Wet-Bulb Temperature
5. Mixing Clouds
6. Conceptions and Misconceptions of Pressure
7. Dew Drops on a Bathroom Mirror
8. A Murder in Ceylon
9. The Freezing of Lakes
10. The Greenhouse Effect
11. Black Clouds
12. Once in a Blue Moon
13. The Green Flash
14. Multiple Scattering at the Breakfast Table
15. Multiple Scattering at the Beach
16. On a Clear Day You Can't See Forever
17. A Serendipitous Iridescent Cloud
18. Physics on a Manure Heap: More about Black Clouds
19. Polarization of Skylight
20. Colors of the Sea
21. Indoor Rainbows
22. Why Rainbows Are Not Impossible in Winter
Selected Bibliography and Suggestions for Further Reading