Coaching for Leadership: The Practice of Leadership Coaching from the World's Greatest Coaches / Edition 2by Marshall Goldsmith
Pub. Date: 10/07/2005
Coaching for Leadership
"This is a significant addition to the authors' earlier works, and comes at a most timely point in the continuing evolution of corporate leadership. The complexities of today's business challenges are prompting leaders at all levels to seek out professional coaching support, and this book does a great job in exploring the options,… See more details below
Coaching for Leadership
"This is a significant addition to the authors' earlier works, and comes at a most timely point in the continuing evolution of corporate leadership. The complexities of today's business challenges are prompting leaders at all levels to seek out professional coaching support, and this book does a great job in exploring the options, insights, and practices."
Jon R. Katzenbach, founding partner, Katzenbach Partners LLC, and author, Why Pride Matters
When it was published in 2000, Coaching for Leadership became an instant classic in the field of executive coaching. This second edition updates and expands on the original book and brings together the best executive coaches who offer a basic understanding of how coaching works, why it works, and how leaders can make the best use of the coaching process. This thoroughly revised edition reflects recent changes in coaching practices, includes well-researched best practices, and provides additional guidance and tools from the greatest leadership coaches from around the world. Each chapter in this important volume addresses a proven application, offers key principles of practice, and highlights critical learning points.
A timely book, Coaching for Leadership covers important new concepts and Shows when coaching is necessary and when it is needed most
- Explains how different coaching styles embrace various practices
- Shows how coaching applies to different situations
- Describes how to engage human resource professionals in the process
- Demonstrates how to manage leadership coaching programs
- Illustrates how to make leadership coaching align with key OD values, such as dignity and collaboration
- Shows how to negotiate the return on investment conversation between human resources and finance
- Details how to make process consultation work in leadership coaching.
The second edition of Coaching for Leadership is a practical resource that is filled with best practices, sample scenarios, case studies, and hands-on tools.
Table of Contents
Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
About the Editors.
PART ONE: FOUNDATIONS OF COACHING.
1. The Accomplished Leader (Laurence S. Lyons).
2. Coaching and Consultation Revisited: Are They the Same? (Edgar H. Schein).
3. Situational Leadership and Executive Coaching (Paul Hersey and Roger Chevalier).
4. Coaching for Behavioral Change (Marshall Goldsmith).
PART TWO: BUILDING BLOCKS.
5. Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback (Marshall Goldsmith).
6. Making Coaching Work: Ten Easy Steps (Marc Effron).
7. Leading on Purpose: What Do You Care About? (Richard J. Leider).
8. Coaching for Effective Action: A Core Leadership Process (Victoria A. Guthrie and John R. Alexander).
9. Coaching Others to Accept Feedback (Joe Folkman).
10. Selling Up Is Leading Up: Coaching Your Manager Can Be Just as Important as Coaching Your Direct Reports (John Baldoni and Marshall Goldsmith).
PART THREE: LEADING CHANGE.
11. Coaching at the Heart of Strategy (Laurence S. Lyons).
12. Crossing Over: Making the Transition from Executive to Executive Coach (Brian Tracy).
13. Surviving the Transition from Line Manager to Executive Coach (David Noer).
14. Coaching Business Leaders (Richard Gauthier and David Giber).
15. Coaching and Culture: Toward the Global Coach (Michel Moral and Pamela Warnock).
16. When Leaders Are Coaches (James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner).
17. Coaching the Coaches (David Ulrich).
18. Why Coaching Clients Give Up and How Effective Goal Setting Can Make a Positive Difference (Marshall Goldsmith and Kelly Goldsmith).
PART FOUR: APPLICATIONS.
19. Case Study: Coaching for Change at Aventis (Laurence S. Lyons).
20. The Experience of Siemens in Spain (Marta H. Williams, Carlos J. Paulet, and Rebeca Arroyo).
21. The General Mills & Pillsbury Merger (Kevin D. Wilde).
22. The Agilent Technologies Story: Coaching Across the Enterprise (Brian O. Underhill, Dianne Anderson, and Robert A. Silva).
23. e-Coaching: Using the New Technology to Develop Tomorrow’s Leaders (Marshall Goldsmith).
24. Career Development: Anytime, Anyplace (Beverly L. Kaye).
25. Coaching in the Midst of Diversity (R. Roosevelt Thomas, Jr.).
26. Coaching Executives: Women Succeeding Globally (Nancy J. Adler).
Pfeiffer Publications Guide.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >